Things I think in the city on the verge of winter
Winter is almost here. You can never tell for sure at this time of the year. One day it is warm, the next it is cold. But for the past couple of weeks, the Fall has been wrestling, and losing, to Winter. The mornings start out very cold, and slowly the day starts to warm a bit as the sun comes out. But the Cold stands patiently in the shadows, hidden from the sun's warmth, waiting for you to walk into the shade of a building or tree to show you how cold the air really is and remind you to bring a scarf.
Today was especially chilly. Even our apartment made me wrap up a little tighter. It also made me close some of the windows that we had wide open. Our whole building is heated with a giant coal furnace in the basement that tends to turn our humble abode into a living inferno. We balance this out by opening windows. It is a terrible waste of energy, but we have no control over the heating. I read that madrid still has over 2000 buildings running their heating off coal. It is terribly bad for the environment, but like I said, we don't have any control over it in our building. We are just 4 people in a building of 100, and we dont even own our space.
in other news:
I was reading today, and I ran across the word "calamity". I think it is a really pretty word. Calamity. Would my daughter hate me forever if I named her Calamity? Cally for short? I like it. She would be fiery and full of spirit. She wouldn't take any crap from anyone. She would be the kind of daughter that I wouldn't have to worry about getting taken advantage of by boys. Late at night, when I would get up for a glass of water and pass by her room and she wouldn't have come home yet, I wouldn't worry about her health but about the health of anyone who tried to get smart with her. She would be passionate and explosive, able to feel deeply, but she would love her father. Unless she didn't like the name he gave her. But if I know Cally like I think I do, she would get a kick out of it.
Today was especially chilly. Even our apartment made me wrap up a little tighter. It also made me close some of the windows that we had wide open. Our whole building is heated with a giant coal furnace in the basement that tends to turn our humble abode into a living inferno. We balance this out by opening windows. It is a terrible waste of energy, but we have no control over the heating. I read that madrid still has over 2000 buildings running their heating off coal. It is terribly bad for the environment, but like I said, we don't have any control over it in our building. We are just 4 people in a building of 100, and we dont even own our space.
in other news:
I was reading today, and I ran across the word "calamity". I think it is a really pretty word. Calamity. Would my daughter hate me forever if I named her Calamity? Cally for short? I like it. She would be fiery and full of spirit. She wouldn't take any crap from anyone. She would be the kind of daughter that I wouldn't have to worry about getting taken advantage of by boys. Late at night, when I would get up for a glass of water and pass by her room and she wouldn't have come home yet, I wouldn't worry about her health but about the health of anyone who tried to get smart with her. She would be passionate and explosive, able to feel deeply, but she would love her father. Unless she didn't like the name he gave her. But if I know Cally like I think I do, she would get a kick out of it.
Comments
and to pt. 2 of your entry.... (calamity jane) it really made me smile, especially because i'm having a little "calamity" of my own very soon now:-)
hope to see you soon man. drop me a line.
The girl you describe would inevitably give her father a run for his money at some point. But she sounds like the sort of girl I would like to know.
oh, and i really enjoyed your winter descriptions. way to go, english major!
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
daughter Serenity. Take it from someone older and wiser. A Serenity will have an easier life than a Calamity. Although Calamity does roll off the tongue nicely.
i worked with josh and nate and even sarah at camp.