Snowmelt demands movement
The sun is out again today. The snow has all but melted except for in the abandoned lots where they piled it up several stories high; but even those piles are melting, leaving behind all of the grime that was plowed up with the snow and rivulets of water running towards the nearest gutter. The fact that the water reaches the drain is quite a feat. Just weeks ago it would have frozen halfway across the sidewalk... and lain in waiting for an unsuspecting jogger. But, as I said before, the sun is out now, the temperatures are up, and the ice is nowhere to be seen. I am running out of excuses to avoid jogging, if you will permit the pun.
I am in some of the worse shape of my life and I don't particularly feel good about it. Those of you who have known me for most of my life know that being "in shape" was never really been a priority of mine until recently. In high school I looked for ways to do the least amount of work possible in P.E class. When we played sports, I chose the most passive positions possible. I have fond memories of playing defense in soccer, which amounted to booting the ball out of the way as quickly as possible so that we could return to chilling while the rest of the team took the action to the other side of the field. I had some good conversations by those goal posts...
But then a couple of years ago I started working out. I was self-employed and work was sparse. I had time on my hands. I had some old freeweights that once belonged to my dad. After 6 months I felt healthy and looked toned, and people even took notice. But I was so new to exercise that I had a hard time differentiating the "no pain no gain" kind of hurt from the pain of an injury. Finally, I stopped and tried to take it easy, but I really should have seen a doctor and a physical therapist. So here I am now, years later, in the country of expensive medical care, with a permanent debilitating injury to both my shoulders.
I am unable to do any exercise that demands any use of my shoulders at all. This is a shame, because I really enjoyed weight training. Now I am reduced to running. And I hate running. It is such a boring activity. Gerbils do it for goodness sake! I hate feeling out of breath. I hate wanting to retch. I hate feeling like a fool. But it is all I have left to me. Now that the weather is clearing up, I'm running out of excuses to not do it. I still have the temperatures on my side; just because the meltwater doesn't freeze immediately, doesn't mean that it isn't trying... Who am I kidding? I should go for a run... it isn't like it is a huge time commitment, I don't last long anyway. Barf.
I am in some of the worse shape of my life and I don't particularly feel good about it. Those of you who have known me for most of my life know that being "in shape" was never really been a priority of mine until recently. In high school I looked for ways to do the least amount of work possible in P.E class. When we played sports, I chose the most passive positions possible. I have fond memories of playing defense in soccer, which amounted to booting the ball out of the way as quickly as possible so that we could return to chilling while the rest of the team took the action to the other side of the field. I had some good conversations by those goal posts...
But then a couple of years ago I started working out. I was self-employed and work was sparse. I had time on my hands. I had some old freeweights that once belonged to my dad. After 6 months I felt healthy and looked toned, and people even took notice. But I was so new to exercise that I had a hard time differentiating the "no pain no gain" kind of hurt from the pain of an injury. Finally, I stopped and tried to take it easy, but I really should have seen a doctor and a physical therapist. So here I am now, years later, in the country of expensive medical care, with a permanent debilitating injury to both my shoulders.
I am unable to do any exercise that demands any use of my shoulders at all. This is a shame, because I really enjoyed weight training. Now I am reduced to running. And I hate running. It is such a boring activity. Gerbils do it for goodness sake! I hate feeling out of breath. I hate wanting to retch. I hate feeling like a fool. But it is all I have left to me. Now that the weather is clearing up, I'm running out of excuses to not do it. I still have the temperatures on my side; just because the meltwater doesn't freeze immediately, doesn't mean that it isn't trying... Who am I kidding? I should go for a run... it isn't like it is a huge time commitment, I don't last long anyway. Barf.
Comments
I know. I wish I could do yoga, but so much of it requires stretching arms and putting weight on shoulders, even downward facing dog is painful.
I did do Pilates in Spain for my last semester there and I found that I could do most of it, especially if it focused on core and legs and stuff. I would do it now if it weren't so expensive.
I stole my mom's pilates DVD and used the same one for a couple years, which is probably the most cost effective exercise I've ever done. Wasn't even wearing out shoes!
I'm sorry to hear that you have a chronic injury. That really sucks. Back in HS when I was doing Tai Chi, I mistook that same sensation and messed up my knee. It has never fully recovered and that sucks.
DON'T do yoga with shoulder injuries. You are right about using your shoulders way too frequently. Plus, the most common yoga injury is the shoulder. I have yogi friends who have had to have reconstructive surgery. Boo!
P90 is actually pretty good. You'd have to find an alternative warm-up since they do sun salutations (read: LOTS of downward dogs). But I'm sure Jessica could give you something to do!
And, As for the running, I used to hate it too, but did it because it was the cheapest and fastest way to get in shape (at least aerobically and weight loss). But over time I have come to love it because of the fresh air, the quiet and the time to think. Maybe if you stick with it, you'll find some joy, even in the boredom and sweat.
Never heard of P90. I'll check it out. The problem with a lot of those aerobic videos is that they require a lot of stomping, kicking, running in place, which would not do well in this paper thin second story house. And the punching kills me. But I'll check it out.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to afford surgery for the ole shoulders and see what happens. I would love to become a real human again.
Daniel, yes, amazingly it does make a difference in how you feel. You feel worse for the first few weeks and then you start to feel much better than you did before you started. I am so undisciplined to run though. But I have done it twice so far this week, so that is nice.
But you really should start doing some exercise. At least at home. It releases endorphins and creates serotonin, which helps fight depression.
between all the plastic people eat and technology which means moving more than their fingers (typing) is considered labour, though, it does make sense.
it puzzled me to see kids DRIVE from nyland to bennet to "work out" =] and then i was later told it would "save" them ten more mins from the treadmill. go figure.
come to nepal. working out is an activity the upper-class speak of to hint at their class/lifestyle!
But honestly, most people there don't need it until their late 30s simply because of all the walking they do. Meals tend to be healthier, to a certain extent, as well.
I know what you mean about the driving thing. There is a gym over here and you see people driving around looking for a close parking spot. Um.. just walk 20 more feet people. It isn't as bad as this though:
Escalator gym ridiculousness