The plot thickens
I quit my teaching job a week ago.
When I decided to stay in spain for another year, I did it with the idea that I would be teaching english part time, as a means to pay off my living expenses whilst I worked on my music. But over the past couple of months I have started to have throat problems. Slowly I have begun to lose my voice a bit. The doctor isn't quite sure what the deal is, though we both suspect acid reflux is burning away at my throat. Regardless of what it may be, teaching english wasn't helping. I spent quite a few hours a day talking, projecting my voice loudly, and it was becoming quite uncomfortable, bordering on painful. At the end of a day of teaching, I would get home disheartened and tired. I became quite despondent at the prospect that what was meant to be a means to an end was actually getting in the way of my goal. The job I depended on to live was preventing me from following my reason for living. But I was stuck. You can't just quit your job to pursue a passion that doesn't bring in money.
But then it happened. A good friend called me one day to do some translation work for her company. She works in a media agency and they needed someone to edit some already translated texts that were unsatisfactory. I decided that it was at least worth looking into. The texts in question turned out to be spanish screenplays that the company was trying to get into hollywood in english. Being the movie nut that I am, I took the job.
Slowly, I have begun to get more and more jobs with them and they have been quite happy with my work. Even though the nature of the business means that my work isn't in constant demand, It pays very well, well enough to let me ride out the dry spells comfortably. Most importantly it seems like the job is taylor made for me. I work with writing and with films, two of my favorite things in the world. Who knows, this could possibly be the stepping stone for me if I ever was to finish a screenplay. The job also utilizes my bilingual/bicultural skills. It is perfect for an introvert like me, since I work alone, at home, and at my own rhythm. Also, I work for a deadline, which is the only way I ever get anything done. On top of it all, I rest my voice, which along with the medication I am taking for the reflux will hopefully provide a good environment for my throat to heal, allowing me to finally pursue music in a couple of months.
I feel very blessed. I use the word "blessed" consciously, because I feel like this isn't just a set of coincidences. It is too good to be that. I am not one of those people that is constantly saying "god did this" or "god did that" but I can't help but feel that this situation is a sign of divine affection. Even if it is just a blip on the radar and only lasts long enough for my voice to heal and for me to save up some money, I will be very grateful.
When I decided to stay in spain for another year, I did it with the idea that I would be teaching english part time, as a means to pay off my living expenses whilst I worked on my music. But over the past couple of months I have started to have throat problems. Slowly I have begun to lose my voice a bit. The doctor isn't quite sure what the deal is, though we both suspect acid reflux is burning away at my throat. Regardless of what it may be, teaching english wasn't helping. I spent quite a few hours a day talking, projecting my voice loudly, and it was becoming quite uncomfortable, bordering on painful. At the end of a day of teaching, I would get home disheartened and tired. I became quite despondent at the prospect that what was meant to be a means to an end was actually getting in the way of my goal. The job I depended on to live was preventing me from following my reason for living. But I was stuck. You can't just quit your job to pursue a passion that doesn't bring in money.
But then it happened. A good friend called me one day to do some translation work for her company. She works in a media agency and they needed someone to edit some already translated texts that were unsatisfactory. I decided that it was at least worth looking into. The texts in question turned out to be spanish screenplays that the company was trying to get into hollywood in english. Being the movie nut that I am, I took the job.
Slowly, I have begun to get more and more jobs with them and they have been quite happy with my work. Even though the nature of the business means that my work isn't in constant demand, It pays very well, well enough to let me ride out the dry spells comfortably. Most importantly it seems like the job is taylor made for me. I work with writing and with films, two of my favorite things in the world. Who knows, this could possibly be the stepping stone for me if I ever was to finish a screenplay. The job also utilizes my bilingual/bicultural skills. It is perfect for an introvert like me, since I work alone, at home, and at my own rhythm. Also, I work for a deadline, which is the only way I ever get anything done. On top of it all, I rest my voice, which along with the medication I am taking for the reflux will hopefully provide a good environment for my throat to heal, allowing me to finally pursue music in a couple of months.
I feel very blessed. I use the word "blessed" consciously, because I feel like this isn't just a set of coincidences. It is too good to be that. I am not one of those people that is constantly saying "god did this" or "god did that" but I can't help but feel that this situation is a sign of divine affection. Even if it is just a blip on the radar and only lasts long enough for my voice to heal and for me to save up some money, I will be very grateful.
Comments
sounds too good to be true.
i hope to see you this evening.
i will call you now.
:-)
i love real english majors, like you and afshaan.
very happy to hear about tailor made job. also, very happy to read another blog - it took you 10 days and i was getting anxiuos: )
get better soon brobro.
part-time job