a word from a stranger

Street strolling home, another long day was coming to a close and the sun had long gone home before me. The early autumn cold stung my cheeks in the dark. The wind tossed the branches back and forth in front of the streetlights, shifting the light and shadows on the brick buildings nearby. My shoulders sagged under the weight that only a city can place on someone who is going home to an empty house after a long day of work in a crowded town. Long days give way to even longer trips back to bed. I dragged my feet across the cracked city sidewalks; gravel and smashed acorns ground together as I walked the long stretch towards the bus that would take me home.
"You good?"
It took a few seconds to realize that someone was talking to me, and by the time I turned he was leaving, perhaps he was thinking that I had ignored him, but in all likelihood not meaning to stop anyway. I took off an earphone and watched him for a second. It was hard to make out the shaggy haired man as he walked away through the shifting shadows of the oak trees that line fenway. "Huh?" I though, or spoke, sluggishly.
Without stopping, the man turned towards me, so that he was walking backwards "Don't worry brother. It gets better!" he said in an honest tone with a slight hippy inflection of the 1960's. As he was about to turn around again, the light caught his face for a second as he flashed me a grin before walking away. Somehow, I believed him and felt better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs