hiking and not so much
I am supposed to be hiking right now. Yes that is right. The "epic" journey that I was planning turned sour and lukewarm in our (David and I) mouths and we spit it out. Well actually, I was having fun. But David wasnt. He thought taht the idea of walking from one place to another and finding our own way to get there, was kind of... well, dumb. Yes, I know. I was shocked too. But you know, I said "thats ok, we can do something else. But I still want to walk or hike or something" (I am a flexible INFP remember?). So the fact taht he didnt want to do it, coupled with the fact that our backpacks were about 20 pounds too heavy, caused us to turn back and head to Madrid, after only 2 days of adventuring. Yes, tragic but not fatal.
So we came home and took off the next day to the mountains by madrid. We walked the "siete picos,", then we headed straight down the other side ignoring trails and picking our own way accross the countryside. After walking around searching for a good camping spot, we finally came upon a little meadow where we camped that night. It turned out to be a night of danger where we almost had our tent trampled by a stampede of wild horses (no joke), but we survived to get up the next morning and hike from Navacerrada to Cercedilla. Our "no trails policy" sent us a couple miles off course but that is nothing for a mountain man like myself. Then we took the train home where I made myself a triple decker sandwich because I may be skinny enough to disappear when you look at me sideways, but at least I dont need to diet.
Anyway, we are taking off again this morning to hike another part of the mountains (la pedriza). Unfortunately, Spain is very dry and firewood-like so fires are prohibited; and to keep people from staying overnight, binge drinking and starting the aformentioned fires, camping (except in designated areas) is also a no-no. Yes, it sucks. We camped anyway, but I dont know if I will do it again, at least not in the natural park north of madrid where they are looking for campers. If we take off and go to other random places maybe. For the rest of july we are probalby going to take off and travel to various camping/hiking spots around Spain rather than the long trek I was hoping for. I will do it though... some other summer... and with someone who wants to do it. I was surprised that David does not enjoy the hiker lifestyle like myself. He likes to go places, get out of the car and walk around enjoying the scenery. The killer hikes dont agree with him though. He would rather hike a bit, chill for a day or two, then go out again. I am the opposite, I just want to go one day after another hiking to lost places in the middle of nowhere. Then again, I really like the solitude of nature and all of that stuff.
So we came home and took off the next day to the mountains by madrid. We walked the "siete picos,", then we headed straight down the other side ignoring trails and picking our own way accross the countryside. After walking around searching for a good camping spot, we finally came upon a little meadow where we camped that night. It turned out to be a night of danger where we almost had our tent trampled by a stampede of wild horses (no joke), but we survived to get up the next morning and hike from Navacerrada to Cercedilla. Our "no trails policy" sent us a couple miles off course but that is nothing for a mountain man like myself. Then we took the train home where I made myself a triple decker sandwich because I may be skinny enough to disappear when you look at me sideways, but at least I dont need to diet.
Anyway, we are taking off again this morning to hike another part of the mountains (la pedriza). Unfortunately, Spain is very dry and firewood-like so fires are prohibited; and to keep people from staying overnight, binge drinking and starting the aformentioned fires, camping (except in designated areas) is also a no-no. Yes, it sucks. We camped anyway, but I dont know if I will do it again, at least not in the natural park north of madrid where they are looking for campers. If we take off and go to other random places maybe. For the rest of july we are probalby going to take off and travel to various camping/hiking spots around Spain rather than the long trek I was hoping for. I will do it though... some other summer... and with someone who wants to do it. I was surprised that David does not enjoy the hiker lifestyle like myself. He likes to go places, get out of the car and walk around enjoying the scenery. The killer hikes dont agree with him though. He would rather hike a bit, chill for a day or two, then go out again. I am the opposite, I just want to go one day after another hiking to lost places in the middle of nowhere. Then again, I really like the solitude of nature and all of that stuff.
Comments