A day in london

Yesterday I escaped from Oxford and made my way into London (finally). I had not left this town at all this term until yesterday, so I was ready for a change of scenery. I went into the city to meet up with Kenny, who had come down from Durham as part of his end of the year mini-tour of England before he leaves the country. When we met up in the morning we didn't really have anything planned so we ended up heading over to the natural science museum. I love science museums, but I think it had been a while since I had been to one. So we spent a while walking around looking at lunar modules and steam engines, eventually ending up in the 'hands-on' part of the museum that was usually geared towards kids, but whatever, we are young at heart and spent a good while playing around with pressure machines, shadow capture booths and mini feats of engineering. We were about to leave but I wanted to see the dinosaurs, because, well... Who doesn't wanna see dinosaurs?


We had a little trouble making our chair look like the display one...


Fear the T-Rex my friends, fear it strong.


The Velociraptor!!


After the science museum we split up for a while. Kenny had bought a ticket to a Shakespeare play at the Globe, but I didn't feel like standing up through a 3 hour play, among other things. So instead I went over to the Tate Museum of modern art, which is right next door to the Globe. It is one of my favorite modern art museums and they had just changed all their displays, so I had a good time. I like looking at art on my own anyway sometimes. But anyway, after the play was done, Kenny and I met up and went to grab a bite to eat. Post-food, we went over to the west end to see if we could get any cheap tickets to Avenue Q, a comedy musical whose cast is mostly made up of puppets. It is sort of a parody of Sesame Street in a way, and is probably one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. However, I would be reticent to recommend it to some people because the content is likely to offend many people. Either way, it was really clever and I thought that it was very well done. We decided to go grab a pint after we got out of the theatre, so we found a pub and had some good chatting before it was time for us to part ways. All in all, I would proclaim, as Calvin would say (from calvin and hobbes, mind you), the day "seized and throttled."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kenny looks so scared; he should be. You doing the Velociraptor thingy reminds of the times you would run up and down the metro like that. People would try so hard to ignore you.
Anonymous said…
Nice Hapsburg jaw there. No wonder Kenny is terrified. We all know it wasn't the T-rex that did it but the look on your face.

Glad you had a good time there. I enjoyed London while I was there.
Anonymous said…
Hey Ryan!

Kenny and I hung out the next day. We saw the Imperial War Museum where we did the London Blitz experience, the WWI trench warfare experience (sans live ammo and gout, but with the accompanying smells-eek!) and then went through the Holocaust exhibit.

Missed u.
Anonymous said…
London is a great place to visit museums, that's for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs