At the club

After I wrote the previous post about my musical history, I went off to the Jazz club where I have been going on wednesday nights. I usually go and sing a song in the open mic segment. It is fun because you have a full jazz ensemble backing you up. So far I had only done the typical "fly me to the moon" and "there will never be another you." Today I didnt really find any songs from the book of standards that I felt like singing, so taking advantage of my bummed state this week I told the band to just play a blues and I would improvise. The drummer asked if we could funk it up a little, so it turned into a funky blues thing. I just sang the typical "my lovin' woman's left me..." kind of thing, though I did get a bit crazy in the solo section when I started scatting in the style of a wah-wah guitar. It was all good fun. It is quickly becoming the highlight of my week. I get to hang with friends, sing some tunes, listen to some jazz. All goodness. Here are some pics:



The people on the left are the two people I always go with, Brian and Eva. I have no clue who the girl on the right is.


Myself, Eva, and the unknown girl.


Me, singing some tunes with the band.


This picture has an interesting story. The guys in the photo with me are guys I used to play the trumpet with during my short, yet fun, time in a funk band here in madrid. I hadn't seen them in 3 or 4 years and it was just coincidence that I ran into them. From left to right: Myself (in one of those "about to sneeze" photographs), Ernesto the bass player, and Diego the guitar player. They are still in a band together apparently. Diego played a bit that night (it was open mic after all) and has become amazing since I last played with him.

Comments

Jenn said…
That sounds like a lot of fun. I would NEVER be able to do that since I'm more along the lines of Cameron Diaz in "My Best Friend's Wedding" only without the long legs and huge smile. So it would just be wrong.
Qué pasa tío?, tenemos una conversación pendiente desde hace un año acerca de grupos. Ya me he enterado que vas al Primavera Sound, me encartaría ir... no dejes de ver a:
The Good The Bad & The Queen
Patti Smith
Built To Spill
Low
Por cierto, Eva la chica de la foto, es la hija de Guido??

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs