Oxford-bound
It has almost been 2 years since I left Oxford in june of 2006, and almost as long since I was last in the UK later that summer. It's odd, the British Isles are just a hop away from Spain, but I haven't been able to make it back there since I studied there two years ago. This is especially odd considering how much I enjoyed my time there and that I have friends living in various parts of England. But, finally, after a long wait lacking in fine Ale and Tea, I am finally heading back to good ole England.

I leave on thursday and will stay in London that night, courtesy of my friend Alex Oldfield, whom I have known since my first day of college. The next day I am meeting another Alex, though this time of Oxford Gargoyles fame, with whom I will indulge in tea before we both catch the train to Oxford. We are going there because this weekend is the Gargoyles 10th anniversary reunion concert. I was a member of the aforementioned a cappella group during my year studying in England. It was a very fun experience that taught me quite a bit about singing and that allowed me to meet and sing with some great people. So we are heading there to meet up with most of the people that were with us in 2006 as well as with many other generations of Gargoyles from before and after my stint there.
The plans for the weekend are still a bit up in the air at this point. Saturday night is the actual concert and post-concert festivities. First, the present group of goyles will sing us their stuff and then I think we will join them for a bit. Afterwards all ex-goyles will be heading to a bar to celebrate and reminisce about old tunes and times. This will probably get out of hand rather soon as it includes a group of singers (dangerous in itself) and boozed up english people (also dangerous on its own). I am hoping that the whole pub will erupt in four part harmonies rather quickly. I will most certainly be taking my video camera.
Other than that, there are certainly things that I wish to accomplish while I am back in the city of dreaming spires:
- A visit to Boulter Street: It is a crappy street, but it was MY crappy street for a year.
- A kebab at the best kebab place on the planet: I'm not kidding. I have about 6 kebab shops within a 2 block radius of my house. I have eaten at many more than just those and I guarantee you that no kebab is as good as the ones they made right around the corner from boulter street. They wrap it in fresh nan bread, none of that pita crap. Nuff said.
- The pub crawl. Not that I will drink in every pub on my list, but considering that a lot of my social life happened in pubs, I feel that I owe them a visit. The Star, the Kings Arms, the Lamb and flag, the Turf... ah so many.
- A walk to the Trout Inn. One of my favorite things to do was to walk up the Isis river to a little place called the Trout for a delicious meal of traditional pub-grub. Will I have steak and ale pie? You bet your sweet arse I will.
- Beer. After 3 months of not consuming barely any booze (acid reflux reasons) I think I will indulge myself and have some of England's finest creation. Fursty Ferret Ale I await you.
- Tea. I think a visit to the Rose Tea House will definitely be a part of my trip. Tea + fresh scones + cream + strawberry jam = bliss.
- A visit to Northlight: I worked in what I used to describe as a "nordic pillow shop." The folks I worked with were nice. I'll say hello
And of course, walking walking walking... Sadly, a lot of the places I used to walk around in are now off limits to me as a non-student. Places like the Bodleian or certain colleges. Other places would be available for a price. It seems like such an insult when you have to pay for something that you used to get for free and were a part of. But still, walking down streets that hold memories is always a great experience. It will be a bittersweet experience though, making me miss the people I associate with that town. Certainly it won't be the same without Miriam Moser to go to the Phoenix Cinema with or Kate Anfuso to talk to over a pint of beer. And Boulter Street will seem much quieter without a poker game going on. But still... I have been looking foward to this for a long time.
I leave on thursday and will stay in London that night, courtesy of my friend Alex Oldfield, whom I have known since my first day of college. The next day I am meeting another Alex, though this time of Oxford Gargoyles fame, with whom I will indulge in tea before we both catch the train to Oxford. We are going there because this weekend is the Gargoyles 10th anniversary reunion concert. I was a member of the aforementioned a cappella group during my year studying in England. It was a very fun experience that taught me quite a bit about singing and that allowed me to meet and sing with some great people. So we are heading there to meet up with most of the people that were with us in 2006 as well as with many other generations of Gargoyles from before and after my stint there.
The plans for the weekend are still a bit up in the air at this point. Saturday night is the actual concert and post-concert festivities. First, the present group of goyles will sing us their stuff and then I think we will join them for a bit. Afterwards all ex-goyles will be heading to a bar to celebrate and reminisce about old tunes and times. This will probably get out of hand rather soon as it includes a group of singers (dangerous in itself) and boozed up english people (also dangerous on its own). I am hoping that the whole pub will erupt in four part harmonies rather quickly. I will most certainly be taking my video camera.
Other than that, there are certainly things that I wish to accomplish while I am back in the city of dreaming spires:
- A visit to Boulter Street: It is a crappy street, but it was MY crappy street for a year.
- A kebab at the best kebab place on the planet: I'm not kidding. I have about 6 kebab shops within a 2 block radius of my house. I have eaten at many more than just those and I guarantee you that no kebab is as good as the ones they made right around the corner from boulter street. They wrap it in fresh nan bread, none of that pita crap. Nuff said.
- The pub crawl. Not that I will drink in every pub on my list, but considering that a lot of my social life happened in pubs, I feel that I owe them a visit. The Star, the Kings Arms, the Lamb and flag, the Turf... ah so many.
- A walk to the Trout Inn. One of my favorite things to do was to walk up the Isis river to a little place called the Trout for a delicious meal of traditional pub-grub. Will I have steak and ale pie? You bet your sweet arse I will.
- Beer. After 3 months of not consuming barely any booze (acid reflux reasons) I think I will indulge myself and have some of England's finest creation. Fursty Ferret Ale I await you.
- Tea. I think a visit to the Rose Tea House will definitely be a part of my trip. Tea + fresh scones + cream + strawberry jam = bliss.
- A visit to Northlight: I worked in what I used to describe as a "nordic pillow shop." The folks I worked with were nice. I'll say hello
And of course, walking walking walking... Sadly, a lot of the places I used to walk around in are now off limits to me as a non-student. Places like the Bodleian or certain colleges. Other places would be available for a price. It seems like such an insult when you have to pay for something that you used to get for free and were a part of. But still, walking down streets that hold memories is always a great experience. It will be a bittersweet experience though, making me miss the people I associate with that town. Certainly it won't be the same without Miriam Moser to go to the Phoenix Cinema with or Kate Anfuso to talk to over a pint of beer. And Boulter Street will seem much quieter without a poker game going on. But still... I have been looking foward to this for a long time.
Comments
Say hello to Michelle for me. And to Boulter Street. Oh, and don't forget Blackwells.. Don't say hello to Stan Rosenburg or those kids who steal bikes.
I'm glad you have an actual reason to go back. If I were in England again, the only reason I'd visit would be for the sake of reminiscing and making myself sad. In which case, I'd be better off seeing somewhere else. Like Cambridge.
Sure you dont want to fly over for the weekend? We can make up and excuse, like say, you are applying for grad school. I can do your interview.
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=en%7Ces&u=http://blog.com.np/united-we-blog/2008/04/19/seeking-an-appointment-for-the-nepali-ambassador-in-washington/