Weekend
May is here.
I have been waiting for it since this wretched year started a 4 months ago.
Just as bad things seem to come all at once, the good ones also seem to come in clumps. And this month is called the month of May, and it is a very good clump. Trips to the beach, england, music festivals, visits from friends... it is all very nice.
I started this month off with a trip to the coast. I went there with Kenny and his wife Marta, two of my best friends (side note, saying that I went somewhere with " my friend so and so and their wife" makes me feel old). We drove several hours to a town in the north of Castellón, between Valencia and Barcelona. We spent three blissfully leisurely days there, staying in a friend's house right across the beach. We would wake up late, and eat breakfast on the balcony/porch overlooking the water. Then we would go downstairs, cross the street, and settle our towels on the sand with a good book. Later a bite to eat. Then a stroll. Then dinner. Then a DVD or a night walk on the beach... repeat as needed and mix in a few trips to neighboring towns.
One of the things I liked the most about the trip was that it was completely relaxing. I enjoyed that it was just the three of us, not stressful, not a group, not a crowd, not a lot of noise, just conversation and silence mixed in with quite a bit of laughter. Also, they are close enough that we don't feel the need to speak all the time. Silence is a viable option. I enjoyed that. Besides the great company, the fact that we didn't have an agenda or much of a plan was wonderful. We just played it as we went along, without even generating that obligation to have a good time that we sometimes create when we are on holiday, and expectation that we never quite live up to. This time we stopped thinking about work, life, and even fun itself and simply soaked up the lack of expectations.
Of course, the expectation of putting sunscreen on when you go to the beach is a good one to live up to, but I didn't, because I am an idiot that looks like a baked lobster now.
I have been waiting for it since this wretched year started a 4 months ago.
Just as bad things seem to come all at once, the good ones also seem to come in clumps. And this month is called the month of May, and it is a very good clump. Trips to the beach, england, music festivals, visits from friends... it is all very nice.
I started this month off with a trip to the coast. I went there with Kenny and his wife Marta, two of my best friends (side note, saying that I went somewhere with " my friend so and so and their wife" makes me feel old). We drove several hours to a town in the north of Castellón, between Valencia and Barcelona. We spent three blissfully leisurely days there, staying in a friend's house right across the beach. We would wake up late, and eat breakfast on the balcony/porch overlooking the water. Then we would go downstairs, cross the street, and settle our towels on the sand with a good book. Later a bite to eat. Then a stroll. Then dinner. Then a DVD or a night walk on the beach... repeat as needed and mix in a few trips to neighboring towns.
One of the things I liked the most about the trip was that it was completely relaxing. I enjoyed that it was just the three of us, not stressful, not a group, not a crowd, not a lot of noise, just conversation and silence mixed in with quite a bit of laughter. Also, they are close enough that we don't feel the need to speak all the time. Silence is a viable option. I enjoyed that. Besides the great company, the fact that we didn't have an agenda or much of a plan was wonderful. We just played it as we went along, without even generating that obligation to have a good time that we sometimes create when we are on holiday, and expectation that we never quite live up to. This time we stopped thinking about work, life, and even fun itself and simply soaked up the lack of expectations.
Of course, the expectation of putting sunscreen on when you go to the beach is a good one to live up to, but I didn't, because I am an idiot that looks like a baked lobster now.
Comments