My life in bullet points

  • I cannot believe that I only have a month left of this semester. Before you know it, the summer will be nearly over and I will have my Masters and I'll be working again. It seems like yesterday that the leaves were red and the snow flakes were falling on Boston's autumn landscape. Now the temperatures are warm and I can barely keep myself from putting on shorts. Of course, New England is fickle and we could easily be back in scarfs and hats in a week.
  • I don't think I had fully experienced the American culture shock until this year. Sure, I experienced aspects of it when I was in college, but not really in regards to lifestyles and social interactions. I know that part of my feelings are stemming from the fact that I had such a strong gang of buddies in Madrid, while here I have scattered friends without the comfortable group reliability that I had in Spain. Part of it also comes from not living in a house full of roommates. Whatever it is, I miss having casual hang outs and social events. It seems like everything here has to be planned weeks in advance and leaves very little room for spontaneity. I miss when friends would just call me up and say, "You wanna hang out?" Now it seems like my social interactions are always: "are you free on X day to do X thing?" I know my current lifestyle is partly to blame; I am busy, but that is only a part of it.
  • I've begun job searching in earnest. I spent all day a few weeks ago at a school, observing classes, talking to teachers, getting a feel for the field and for the American educational system. I must say, I enjoyed Middle School much more than High School. I suspected this would happen. Middle schoolers are crazier, but in all the good senses of the word as well as the negative ones. I find them more creative and willing to have fun than the self conscious high schoolers. So that is the job I'm looking for right now... fingers crossed.
  • I really wish I had a dog. But I know it isn't the time yet. Maybe in a year or two. I miss dogs though.
  • After taking a Children's Lit Survey course, I am a bit sad I didn't pursue the MA in Children's Lit. My professor expressed her disappointment that I didn't do so. I am doing really well in that class and I'm loving the readings. If anyone wants me to recommend children's books (from baby books, to picture books, to early readers, to young adult books....) I've read and studied dozens of them so far this year. For my final project I've decided to skip the research paper and try for the "creative option" which would involve starting a children's book. We'll see how that goes.
  • I've also been trying to write more poetry this semester. I write, but I don't know how much of it is poetry.

Comments

Jenn said…
Ooh, I'll take any book recommendations you have! At this point I'm mostly interested in Toddler books or shortish stories about the length of "Where the Wild Things Are" because that's the extent of Isaiah's attention span, but anything you've read that you LOVE, I'm interested in.

Social life as an adult in the US is not simple at all. I wish you luck in finding a group with whom you can become fully comfortable.
I still really struggle with the social interactions here, especially now that we have moved to a new city and don't know anyone. It always bothered me that you had to have like an actual activity planned to invite someone to and can't just go dar una vuelta and have a coffee or something. I always enjoy the company and conversation and could care less about the activity or event. Seems like going out for drinks usually works though ;)
nepaliketi said…
this only means that the next entry better not be in prose ... !
eefpeef said…
I´d welcome recommendations, too! Have fun with the project: Daniel and I wanted to write children´s books, but gave up (as with everything else we impulsively decide to do).
Ryan said…
Jess and I have some children's books ideas too, but we've been too busy to put them into reality. Maybe in the future...
nepaliketi said…
my points in bullet points:

- i cannot believe the last time you blogged was in april
- i wish you would update
- i was wondering how you were doing
- maybe you could TELL US!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs