Umm... excuse me

As someone who is natively bicultural, it is sometimes easy to ignore that certain parts of your personality were forged by your one or the other side of your cultural influences. It has taken me several years to realize that certain things that I am accustomed to from living amongst Spaniards do not go over well in the US of A. Some cultural differences are pretty obvious and are quickly put to rest, like when I first went to college and had to stop my impulse to lean in and give two kisses to my female acquaintances. But others take years to decipher. The one that has taken me the longest to become aware of (so far), and still longer to try to change, has been American conversation dynamics.

You wouldn't think so, but conversation dynamics change radically from culture to culture. Spanish speaking culture, and probably much of mediterranean culture in general, is much more free-flowing than that of the Northern-European or Asian cultures that I most often interact with here in Boston. What do I mean by free-flowing? In Spain a conversation is not divided into turns. When you have something to say, you jump in and say it and are cut off when someone has something that they consider more important or interesting. Of course, this is an unconscious process and also a very subjective one. Often you have a situation where two or three people are talking at the same time and trying to take control of the conversation if they think that what they have to say is worth hearing. To someone who is not used to this, or who is shy, this can be an intimidating and annoying way of interacting socially, but to most people, especially close friends, it can be a very natural and dynamic way of conversing.

Since moving to the US, it has been quite hard to quit this way of talking to people. I constantly find myself in social situations where I realize that I am interrupting everyone and monopolizing the conversation. In other words: I am annoying. Imagine this scenario: I am in a group and an interesting topic comes up. As a good little Spaniard, I speak up and begin to tell people my opinion (in a blunt and Spanish way, not with the tact that other countries have developed... but that is another problem) or some anecdote. And I keep talking and talking until I realize that I have been talking too long, or until my wife squeezes my hand. You see, unconsciously, I am waiting for someone else to jump in, but no one does. While conversations in Spain can be a bit combative, they are also self-regulating. People here take turns, and each person is responsible for not going over the line. It took me forever to realize this.

It is funny, because in Spain I rarely hog a conversion; many of my friends there are much more verbose and opinionated than me. Not to mention that I lived with 4 of these guys for several years and became accustomed to having to interrupt and cut in if I wanted to be heard. Interrupting is rude in America, and I am finally training myself out of it, but it is quite hard.

Comments

Anonymous said…
that´s a hard one. i´m often at a loss when it comes to conversations with spaniards. i end up just not saying anything, sighing inwardly, and feeling annoyed and left out. people don´t understand that i don´t like to interrupt, i like for people to be respectful... i´m still trying to figure out how to be myself and fit in with these social dynamics, both with Spaniards and foreigners...
anyway, it´s a very interesting and frustrating topic, ryan, and i´m going to have a further think because i suspect it may have had more of an impact on my life than i realized...
Jenn said…
Haha! I was laughing out loud because this is such a problem forever single person in my family. I also find that I want to reach out and grab people during conversations, you know, to keep their attention or to emphasize a point. Americans become so alarmed by unexpected physical contact during a conversation.
Anonymous said…
the personal space issue is huge. Spaniards are so in your face.
It´s funny how sensitive we´ve all become to these cultural differences. (don´t you think that you automatically "code-switch" between these different communication-styles?)
-eef
Anonymous said…
You haven't seemed intrusive or annoying to me, but then again, I'm not a reliable standard.
Ryan said…
ha. thanks greg. Maybe that has something to do with you guys, maybe it has something to do with me getting better. In a sense this post is about 8 months too late, but still relevant when it comes to cross cultural communications I guess.
Kenny said…
Ryan,

I just read this (again, I think), and I realized that I have been doing this for the last 2 days. I am verbose and opinionated even in Spain, but here I was trying to behave. I just thought everyone only wanted to listen to me and that's why they didn't interrupt me. I thought they were so nice. But they were probably day-dreaming of strangling me on the inside...then again, maybe they really did think that the story from a student from Spain was more interesting than one from Wisconsin...dunno. But I'll definitely try to train myself to allow more silences from now on.
Thanks.
Ryan said…
yeah... you talk a lot regardless of the setting, so you probably need tone it down a bit. Jessica has been good in teaching me to listen more. Before, I would feel the need to contrast whatever the topic was with my own experiences. Now I have learned to ask more questions about whatever someone is talking about instead of simply pulling the attention back on myself.... its hard though. I'm pretty self centered. ha.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs