Place and Time

Have you ever thought that you might be in the wrong place and with the wrong people? As much as this sounds like the introduction to some angsty post about not fitting in, I don't intend it to be.

I just find it fascinating that of all the people that I could have been, I am the one that I am today. If I had been born to different people, or to the same people in a different place... everything would be different. There are a million different lifestyle opportunities around the world; being the person that I am has limited me to only a few. If I had been born on the coast, perhaps I would have become a fisherman. What if I, born as I really am, was truly made to fish though? What if the way for me to find greatest fulfillment for my life is something to which I will never have access; or, because of ignorance or lack of interest, will never try.



Or even more frustratingly, what if I would not only find fulfillment in something I will never be able to do.. what if I would also excel at that unknowable thing. What if I am really a genius in a field that I don't even know exists. Perhaps there is a boy living in a yurt in Mongolia who, if born into the proper context and given the proper education, would be the next Bach or Einstein, or find a cure to cancer. Or viceversa, perhaps I was born to be the best horse trainer in Mongolian history. Yes, it is EVEN possible that some of us are even in the wrong time period. Who knows if I would have fit in better 2000 years ago... or 1830 years from now. Who knows? All I know is that I think I would have made a KILLER hunter/gatherer nomad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs