Pool water causes ripples in my memory
I went for a nocturnal dip in the waters of my community pool the other day. Me and David snuck over there and went for a swim. It was a good time. It brought back such clear memories of the past that I was in silent awe for a little bit. I sat by the edge of the pool and let myself be completely soaked by the waves of nostalgia.
I have been going to the pool at night since I was a kid. At first I would sneak out and feel very sly, for I was going to the pool when I should not have. Then as I became older, I didn't have to sneak around, but I still had to keep relatively quiet. The neighbors were not sympathetic to our little nocturnal outings. At first, they were just worried that we would be hurt at night, and that no one would be there to help us. Later on in life they were just annoyed that: 1) We were making noise 2) We were having more fun than they were.
The other night's swim brought back three different sets of memories in particular. I remembered when my Kings Kids friends would come over during the summer. Then I remembered my cousin coming over, and how we would look up at the stars (there was much less light pollution back then) and search for UFOs. Then finally I remembered my High School friends, especially my buddy Charles. Charles came over several time and participated in those night-time pool outings. I do not know if he even remembers, it is funny how some events can be imprinted in someone's memory, and others barely even remember it the next day.
Either way, I look back upon those nights fondly. Usually the schedule for the night was the same, regardless of the person. It was a bit different with my cousin, since we were younger at the time, but it high school things usually went the same way. First of all, we would jump in the pool. Well, some people would jump in, the rest of us would wade in slowly as the brave one would make fun of us and try to splash us. Then, inevitably, someone's swim trunks would go flying off, and before you know it we were all skinny dipping. During our bouts with naturalism, we were always very nervous because the neighbors could have come out at any moment. Based on this tension, there would always be someone who would grab someone else's swim suit and run off with it, causing great consternation. After splashing around for a while, we would usually wrap ourselves in beach towels and sit next to the pool, in the dark, on the grass. There was something about those times on the grass that was sacred. The combination of the darkness, the dull hum of the nearby highway, and the knowledge that we had no responsibilities for the next couple of months created a relaxed and trusting atmosphere. So we would sit there and talk for a long time about everything that ever mattered to us at the time: the future, girls, friends, family, the future, and girls.
Yes, I have good memories of all these places. Since I have been back, it seems like every place I go brings back similar types of memories. Friends, good times... ah.
I have been going to the pool at night since I was a kid. At first I would sneak out and feel very sly, for I was going to the pool when I should not have. Then as I became older, I didn't have to sneak around, but I still had to keep relatively quiet. The neighbors were not sympathetic to our little nocturnal outings. At first, they were just worried that we would be hurt at night, and that no one would be there to help us. Later on in life they were just annoyed that: 1) We were making noise 2) We were having more fun than they were.
The other night's swim brought back three different sets of memories in particular. I remembered when my Kings Kids friends would come over during the summer. Then I remembered my cousin coming over, and how we would look up at the stars (there was much less light pollution back then) and search for UFOs. Then finally I remembered my High School friends, especially my buddy Charles. Charles came over several time and participated in those night-time pool outings. I do not know if he even remembers, it is funny how some events can be imprinted in someone's memory, and others barely even remember it the next day.
Either way, I look back upon those nights fondly. Usually the schedule for the night was the same, regardless of the person. It was a bit different with my cousin, since we were younger at the time, but it high school things usually went the same way. First of all, we would jump in the pool. Well, some people would jump in, the rest of us would wade in slowly as the brave one would make fun of us and try to splash us. Then, inevitably, someone's swim trunks would go flying off, and before you know it we were all skinny dipping. During our bouts with naturalism, we were always very nervous because the neighbors could have come out at any moment. Based on this tension, there would always be someone who would grab someone else's swim suit and run off with it, causing great consternation. After splashing around for a while, we would usually wrap ourselves in beach towels and sit next to the pool, in the dark, on the grass. There was something about those times on the grass that was sacred. The combination of the darkness, the dull hum of the nearby highway, and the knowledge that we had no responsibilities for the next couple of months created a relaxed and trusting atmosphere. So we would sit there and talk for a long time about everything that ever mattered to us at the time: the future, girls, friends, family, the future, and girls.
Comments