Just a crazy afternoon

- Homophones are fun. Eye think that aye should right like this four ever. Words r moor fun inn this whey. Jest imagine how grate simple lyrics could bee: "Eye can't take my aye's off of ewe"... of coarse it knead knot jest bee won kind. With sum thyme wheel bee abel two come up with moor: "Aye, can't take my I's off of yew." Butt I guess it all depends wear your taut too speak and what yore accent was torque to u.

- I was in the airport the other day and a stern voice came on over the loudspeaker: "Do not leave your baggage unattended. Any baggage found unattended will be confiscated and destroyed!" For some reason the image of the airport security taking people's bags when they were distracted and then burning them quickly with flamethrowers came to mind and I laughed. And yes, it was around 2 in the morning.

-There is a billboard on some buses in oxford that tries to advertise a plastic surgery clinic. It has two huge watermelons on it and says "time for a change?"

-I was in a cathedral the other day. We went all the way up the tower to the belfry, it was a very long and treacherous journey. At the base of the stairs it said: "please wear sensible shoes." All the way up the tower I imagined what sensible shoes were. Basketball shoes are frat boys of footwear, high heels are airheads, flip flops are stoned... I imagine well-worn flat-heeled formal shoes to be the sensible "aunt bee" kind that the church was probably looking for. Shoes fit for a nun.

-The toilets in Britain are never "busy" or "in use," they are always "engaged." To whom they are engaged I am not sure. The kitchen I imagine.

-My friend thought that a person that does math is a mathemagician. This makes so much more sense.

-Can I say how amazing it is to be taking a "British Children's Literature" course here at Oxford? My first assignment is "Alice in Wonderland"... other upcoming projects include: Wind in the Willows, the Hobbit, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Treasure Island, various fairy tales and the works of E. Nesbit and George Macdonald. Geez, I read this stuff for fun anyway. I like my life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So many wonderful things to comment on. Reading your paragraph on homophones was so difficult. I felt like a first grader, I had to go so slow. It's weird how even when I know what the word sounds like, it takes more time because those letters don't mean the same thing.

As for mathemagicians, I think that must be true. I've been rebelling against the concept of imaginary numbers. Why, why, why, do we even bother? They don't exist so it doesn't really matter if we learn abou them. They must have been invented by a mathemagician.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs