Hanging out on mountaintops

The past week has been a fairly idle one. After training with my job I was told to wait until they called me with my hours and classes. That was over a week ago. The rest of the teachers in training have not received any hours yet either. It seems that the companies that use our English teaching services do not start their language programs until around the 2nd of October. I really don't care though, I am fine the way I am because I am still getting paid regardless of whether I work or not. It has actually been really nice to have a week off after the stressful weeks of training. It was especially nice since it was the week that everyone really moved into the apartment and we got everything in order. In fact, by the time I do start work I will probably be in the mood to do so, so this break is excellent.
I went to the mountains on Saturday with the two apartment-mates that were around, Kenny and Dan (pictured left). It was quite cold this weekend and especially so up on the top of a mountain. We tromped around for a while as clouds darted around us and over rocks. Finally we descended to lower altitudes where we were able to pick a decent amount of blackberries to make homemade jam. I love going to the mountains or other secluded natural locations. There is something about the grandness of it that really puts my existence into perspective. I love sitting on the top of some rocky ridge and look out over the miles of land that extend into the distance. I love the way it makes me feel small and insignificant. It might sound strange, but I find the experience to be tremendously comforting. Perhaps it is the way that suddenly my problems also seem smaller or the realization that life doesn't revolve around, and therefore depend on, me. I find it much easier to connect with God in a situation like that and to feel grateful for my own life. Who am I that I have been given the gift of life? What have I done to deserve it? In the city it is easy for me to begin to feel like I am entitled to that gift, that I am worthy of everything I have. But it is harder to do that on a mountaintop. Up there, I am humbled and am able to see my life as a gift rather than a payment, and in doing so I am able to be grateful.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Believe it or not, I had never been up to the Sierra before I went back in May to visit my parents for the last time. We went up, picnicked, my dad took a nap and my mom and I hicked around for awhile until we encountered some crazy-eyed cows. I love it up on the top of mountains. I like your persepective too. It is easy to get caught up in the city.
Anonymous said…
Your life sounds too good to be true.
Anonymous said…
nice post, nice mountains.. i could use a break into the pastoral right about now. anxious in the city.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs