I'm getting old
My metabolism is slowing down. After years of having the metabolism of a rabid wolverine on a forty day fast, my body is finally saying "yo dude, if you eat that it will go straight to your hips." OK, not quite. My hips (as well as the rest of me) remain morbidly skinny, nevertheless I can tell that I am starting to get the normal body functions of a (*gasp*)... twentysomething. But yeah, I guess ye ole bod has decided to settle down with the psychological and lifestyle changes that have ushered me into the scary, responsibility filled, latte soaked, subway covered life of the modern working man.
I have noticed other changes that lead me to believe that soon I will be buying a cane and investing in a nose hair trimmer. One tell-tale sign of my encroaching retirement is that the other day, whilst on public transportation -digression: I sometimes think that I have lived out most of my life on public transportation. I have had most of my major revelations with people pressed up against me as I have fought my way through the maddening system of buses, trains and subways. Digression ended- But anyway, I notice that I am getting older when I go by the "Ciudad Universitaria" subway stop. It is where all the university students get on the metro and the other day I looked up from my book as they were shuffling on the train, loaded down with technical manuals and law books, and I thought to myself, "they look really young." That was kind of a depressing thought, considering that I was a college student last year. Of course, I also thought that about the Freshmen when I was a high and most definitely mighty upperclassman, but that was different; in that case I was the elite amongst the young. Now I am out of the hip crowd, the narrowly post-pubescent masses of carefree procrastinators living on dreams and idealism. Now I don't have time for that cause I have to earn a living. Actually, I am starting to get a feel for the graduate lifestyle. The university students can keep their idealism, their hipness, and the remnants of their hormonally charged teen years, its only the carefree-ness that I miss. It still made me feel old to look up and find them to be young.
I have noticed other changes that lead me to believe that soon I will be buying a cane and investing in a nose hair trimmer. One tell-tale sign of my encroaching retirement is that the other day, whilst on public transportation -digression: I sometimes think that I have lived out most of my life on public transportation. I have had most of my major revelations with people pressed up against me as I have fought my way through the maddening system of buses, trains and subways. Digression ended- But anyway, I notice that I am getting older when I go by the "Ciudad Universitaria" subway stop. It is where all the university students get on the metro and the other day I looked up from my book as they were shuffling on the train, loaded down with technical manuals and law books, and I thought to myself, "they look really young." That was kind of a depressing thought, considering that I was a college student last year. Of course, I also thought that about the Freshmen when I was a high and most definitely mighty upperclassman, but that was different; in that case I was the elite amongst the young. Now I am out of the hip crowd, the narrowly post-pubescent masses of carefree procrastinators living on dreams and idealism. Now I don't have time for that cause I have to earn a living. Actually, I am starting to get a feel for the graduate lifestyle. The university students can keep their idealism, their hipness, and the remnants of their hormonally charged teen years, its only the carefree-ness that I miss. It still made me feel old to look up and find them to be young.
Comments
i love your writing and hmm...
well i miss having you around.
peace, friend,
moi