Heaven and Hell survey, part 2
9. Will we have superpowers in heaven? (Can we fly? Will our bodies be superior to the ones we have now? Will we have bodies at all?)
--I like to think so. I mean, I dont know, and I doubt that we will be the holy troupe of x-men, but I mean a place with no death and pain must have superior products than the home grown earth stuff.
10. Will we have to go to the bathroom in heaven? Will we sleep? Eat?
--I sure hope so, you just mentioned my 3 favorite daily activities. In fact, doing ONLY those things would be heaven to me as long as there is a good book by Gods toilet and some music during dinner.
11. Will we recognize people in the afterlife?
--I think so, though our perception of ourselves and others will have changed so radically that our shallow emotional ties with each other will be shattered. It seems really sad from my perspective here, but I am just a shallow human being.
12. Are there rewards/punishments in the afterlife for what we’ve done during our lives?
--Yeah dog, its scary as hell (no pun intended)
13. Do we have the ability to sin once we’re in heaven?
--Hmm.. ability? good word choice, I dunno, I imagine so. I never thought about it. But I imagine our perspective and desires will be so different that perhaps we will not want to. But yeah, good point, heaven minus a free will seems like a bit of a rip off.
14. If you believe in hell, what does it “look” like?
--The surface of the moon. Ooh, I like that. I just came up with it. But anyway, there you are, and you are completely alone, gasping for breath, aching for companionship, freezing and gashed from lack of clothes on the cold sharp rocks. But most of all, you suffer this for eternity with a full view of heaven like the earth is visible from the moon, looming, full of life and completely unattainable. Or maybe it is just eternal anxiety rather than despairing loneliness, like... if you were Ripley at the end of Alien, running through long claustrophobic hallways surrounded by bangs of noise and light and smoke, forever running out of terror.
15. Do you have a mental image of what heaven “looks” like? If so, could you describe it just a bit? (If not, I won’t judge you for being unimaginative.)
--I dunno, the closest I've come to heavenly extasy or rapture is with music, so I imagine it mostly like musical experience. They say music is the purest art because it is the most intangible and indescribable and lacks the medium of language or literal figures, I kinda have a heaven pictured that way, though not really pictured cause it is intangible, its more of a feeling. Freedom. Ultimate freedom. No one tied to anything but their own self expression of love.
But also some definite form of unity with the natural world around you. When I was a kid I always said "when we get to heaven and God hands out the pets I want a..." It is kind of funny, but It always made sense to me that Heaven would imply some sort of reconciliation between mankind and nature. I always pictured myself in some typical St. Francis pose surrounded by animals.
16. Thoughts on the concept of time in the afterlife?
--No. the concept of eternity blows my mind, so I choose to ignore it.
17. Do you like pizza? Favorite toppings?
---mmmmm.... oh snap. Pepperoni, black olives, onion, green peppers and real mozzarella. Stuffed crust is awesome.
18. Where is heaven?
--In that pizza I just described... wait, no. I imagine it is somehow an alternate dimension that exists parallel to our own or something like that.
--I like to think so. I mean, I dont know, and I doubt that we will be the holy troupe of x-men, but I mean a place with no death and pain must have superior products than the home grown earth stuff.
10. Will we have to go to the bathroom in heaven? Will we sleep? Eat?
--I sure hope so, you just mentioned my 3 favorite daily activities. In fact, doing ONLY those things would be heaven to me as long as there is a good book by Gods toilet and some music during dinner.
11. Will we recognize people in the afterlife?
--I think so, though our perception of ourselves and others will have changed so radically that our shallow emotional ties with each other will be shattered. It seems really sad from my perspective here, but I am just a shallow human being.
12. Are there rewards/punishments in the afterlife for what we’ve done during our lives?
--Yeah dog, its scary as hell (no pun intended)
13. Do we have the ability to sin once we’re in heaven?
--Hmm.. ability? good word choice, I dunno, I imagine so. I never thought about it. But I imagine our perspective and desires will be so different that perhaps we will not want to. But yeah, good point, heaven minus a free will seems like a bit of a rip off.
14. If you believe in hell, what does it “look” like?
--The surface of the moon. Ooh, I like that. I just came up with it. But anyway, there you are, and you are completely alone, gasping for breath, aching for companionship, freezing and gashed from lack of clothes on the cold sharp rocks. But most of all, you suffer this for eternity with a full view of heaven like the earth is visible from the moon, looming, full of life and completely unattainable. Or maybe it is just eternal anxiety rather than despairing loneliness, like... if you were Ripley at the end of Alien, running through long claustrophobic hallways surrounded by bangs of noise and light and smoke, forever running out of terror.
15. Do you have a mental image of what heaven “looks” like? If so, could you describe it just a bit? (If not, I won’t judge you for being unimaginative.)
--I dunno, the closest I've come to heavenly extasy or rapture is with music, so I imagine it mostly like musical experience. They say music is the purest art because it is the most intangible and indescribable and lacks the medium of language or literal figures, I kinda have a heaven pictured that way, though not really pictured cause it is intangible, its more of a feeling. Freedom. Ultimate freedom. No one tied to anything but their own self expression of love.
But also some definite form of unity with the natural world around you. When I was a kid I always said "when we get to heaven and God hands out the pets I want a..." It is kind of funny, but It always made sense to me that Heaven would imply some sort of reconciliation between mankind and nature. I always pictured myself in some typical St. Francis pose surrounded by animals.
16. Thoughts on the concept of time in the afterlife?
--No. the concept of eternity blows my mind, so I choose to ignore it.
17. Do you like pizza? Favorite toppings?
---mmmmm.... oh snap. Pepperoni, black olives, onion, green peppers and real mozzarella. Stuffed crust is awesome.
18. Where is heaven?
--In that pizza I just described... wait, no. I imagine it is somehow an alternate dimension that exists parallel to our own or something like that.
Comments
i like what you said about music and heaven. and i like your st. francis pose with animals too. i can picture you in heaven like that.
i liked your "animal" theory even more.. wonderful: a paradise of running guinea pigs, puppy dogs, flying dolphins, and hopping rabbits..uhm, yeah. i am a child, at heart!
-Eva..... i imagine i'd like to meet st.francis...
http://russellsteapot.com/images/rsgallery/original/000100000.jpg
this is quite funny, especially after reading your survey...
eva.