Slowly but surely
I have had this blog for a couple of years now. It has changed form, heading, and style over time, but generally it has remained fairly constant. What has not remained constant has been my frequency of writing. There have been times when I have updated this puppy every single day for months on end, and other times that I have only written something every couple of weeks. Sometimes my writings have been more in the style of newsletters, sometimes the blog has served as a springboard to other areas of interest on the web, while other times my posts were outlets for angst or confusion, but usually falling somewhere in the middle.
It has been interesting to see many of the people I began blogging with lose interest in their blogs and those of others. Perhaps our collective apathy has served to foster collective disenterest. Lately I have been guilty of the apathy. Strangely, the fact that I refer to it as "guilty" suggests that I have some moral obligation to keep this thing up and running. An obligation? To who? To myself? Not really, when I don't blog I write in my journal (a much more productive and uncensored writing excercise). Is it an obligation to my readers? Perhaps this would have been true when my community of blogging friends was at the height of its activity, when blogging fostered a sense of intellectual and emotional community through comments and posts that answered each other; but all of that has dwindled now.
So why do I keep this thing up and running? I guess some of you would arguably say that I dont anymore, perhaps that is true, but I havent officially given up on it (as this proves). I guess something in me hopes that this whole thing will morph into some new and improved blog, with renewed vision and response. However, the fact of the matter remains that I am not sure what that new vision looks like or how to get there. For now, I guess I will keep this thing going and try to write more often.
It has been interesting to see many of the people I began blogging with lose interest in their blogs and those of others. Perhaps our collective apathy has served to foster collective disenterest. Lately I have been guilty of the apathy. Strangely, the fact that I refer to it as "guilty" suggests that I have some moral obligation to keep this thing up and running. An obligation? To who? To myself? Not really, when I don't blog I write in my journal (a much more productive and uncensored writing excercise). Is it an obligation to my readers? Perhaps this would have been true when my community of blogging friends was at the height of its activity, when blogging fostered a sense of intellectual and emotional community through comments and posts that answered each other; but all of that has dwindled now.
So why do I keep this thing up and running? I guess some of you would arguably say that I dont anymore, perhaps that is true, but I havent officially given up on it (as this proves). I guess something in me hopes that this whole thing will morph into some new and improved blog, with renewed vision and response. However, the fact of the matter remains that I am not sure what that new vision looks like or how to get there. For now, I guess I will keep this thing going and try to write more often.
Comments