Changes?
Side Note: We've entered the season of Lent. I've given up TV and online entertainment. Part of that is facebook. Blogs are different, I think. They are more like public letters. Facebook is a huge time waster, and it gives you the illusion of being in touch with people. I am thinking of closing my account for good and going back to blogging regularly. It is more productive and creative, I think. At the same time, Facebook is nice for overseas acquaintances. We'll see how the next 40 days go, and then I'll make my decision.
A new season of my life is here. It has been one of those big, and yet natural, changes. We only get a couple of those in life: when you start elementary school, sometimes when your family moves, when you go away to college... and now, marriage. In some ways, I think my shift into marriage has been more easy going than for some people. For one thing, I wasn't one of those people who got married right out of school, or (in the spanish scenario) who lived with their parents up until they get hitched. That would have been a big change. Instead, I've had about 4 years of bachelor life getting me ready to live with Jessica. Roomates, bills, cleaning, cooking, working... half of the day-to-day responsibilities that make up marriage are old news. In fact, they are better in some ways, because I share them with my best friend. Also, in a bizarre way, I am not carrying the full burden of a career because I am back in school. So my first 6 months of marriage are quite progressive in terms of life-changes. In some ways, it was more of a change in September, when I moved to the US and started school again after years of being away. I don't think I'll fully feel like an adult married man until I finish school. Call me again in September, and ask me how I feel once I have finished Grad School and am working full time.
A new season of my life is here. It has been one of those big, and yet natural, changes. We only get a couple of those in life: when you start elementary school, sometimes when your family moves, when you go away to college... and now, marriage. In some ways, I think my shift into marriage has been more easy going than for some people. For one thing, I wasn't one of those people who got married right out of school, or (in the spanish scenario) who lived with their parents up until they get hitched. That would have been a big change. Instead, I've had about 4 years of bachelor life getting me ready to live with Jessica. Roomates, bills, cleaning, cooking, working... half of the day-to-day responsibilities that make up marriage are old news. In fact, they are better in some ways, because I share them with my best friend. Also, in a bizarre way, I am not carrying the full burden of a career because I am back in school. So my first 6 months of marriage are quite progressive in terms of life-changes. In some ways, it was more of a change in September, when I moved to the US and started school again after years of being away. I don't think I'll fully feel like an adult married man until I finish school. Call me again in September, and ask me how I feel once I have finished Grad School and am working full time.
Comments
I can see how it will get better too, so thanks for the confirmation.
I agree about FB.. although I ended up returning to it. I was just too curious to stay away.
Yeah, the living-together aspect of marriage can be a really stressful part of the transition, so it´s a huge plus that you both got to experience that beforehand.
-eva