"Simmons College?... Isn't that an all-girls school?"
"Yes, well... kinda" I have to explain more often than I would like, "The undergrad is women-only; but the grad programs are coed." And yet, I find myself outnumbered by ladies at any given moment. I am usually the only guy in my classes. I have heard that there is another guy in the English MA program, but he is an elusive creature. Like a lynx, or an echidna. In fact, I'm not even sure that I believe he exists. More like the Jackelope of the department. I know that a few other departments are worse off, ironically Gender Studies lacks any men, but for all practical purposes I am alone. Usually it doesn't bother me though. I grew up surrounded by strong-willed, independent women, and I am neither bothered nor intimidated by the gender ratio around here. Besides, my classes are pretty good. In fact, Simmons is rated highly for its MA programs. It is to be expected that many guys don't know that the school would accept them into their graduate programs.
But there are a few things that are annoying about being in a program that is affiliated with a girls school. For one thing, the toilets are an issue. Finding a bathroom that is designed exclusively for gents is nearly impossible. How I've longed for a urinal with its green puck sitting in the shallow water like a pine-smelling toad! Instead I find myself using the free-for-all handicapped toilets. I get the message, you feminazis: men are handicapped.
And then, of course, there is the gym. One of the advantages of going to college is that you get to use the sports facilities. But mine, though available to me, is full of women. I know, I know, I said that I'm not intimidated by all girls in class, but this is different. I went over to the sports center to check out the gym and felt like a peeping tom. I walked in an everyone turned and scowled. I was the stranger that had walked into the western tavern. The dude that wanted to work out in a Curves. That was last semester. I haven't been back since, though I'm considering it. I might just have to burst their all-female bubble.
But there are a few things that are annoying about being in a program that is affiliated with a girls school. For one thing, the toilets are an issue. Finding a bathroom that is designed exclusively for gents is nearly impossible. How I've longed for a urinal with its green puck sitting in the shallow water like a pine-smelling toad! Instead I find myself using the free-for-all handicapped toilets. I get the message, you feminazis: men are handicapped.
And then, of course, there is the gym. One of the advantages of going to college is that you get to use the sports facilities. But mine, though available to me, is full of women. I know, I know, I said that I'm not intimidated by all girls in class, but this is different. I went over to the sports center to check out the gym and felt like a peeping tom. I walked in an everyone turned and scowled. I was the stranger that had walked into the western tavern. The dude that wanted to work out in a Curves. That was last semester. I haven't been back since, though I'm considering it. I might just have to burst their all-female bubble.
Comments