Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Today, I was fortunate enough to be able to go see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I had been wanting to go since it came out in February, but had not had a chance. It is hard to keep with the new movies without a car, and especially hard without friends that like to see the kind of movies I enjoy. Fortunately, this movie has appeal to those who are not Art film/Independent film lovers like myself; so today I was able to get to the cinema and watch this intensely original movie.
If you want the short version of my review it is this: Go see this movie. It is one of the best movies I have a seen in a long time (and I see many many many movies). In fact, at this point in my life it has easily moved up into my top 20 favorite movies of all time.
The movie stars two actors which I have never really considered to be all that great doing an extraodinary job. Kate Winslet did a good job being a sort of crazy, impulsive free spirit; but in my mind, it was Jim Carrey who really shined in this piece. Yes, you read my right, Jim Carrey, the man who played such deep and challenging parts as "The Mask," "Lloyd from dumb and dumber," and "Ace Ventura" (yes, that was sarcasm). But in this piece, Mr. Carrey was excellent. His previous attempts at gaining acclaim in serious roles failed miserably ("Truman Show" was fun, but he was mediocre at best; and let us try to forget "The Majestic" fiasco). No, here Jim finally found a role that fit him. He played an insecure and boring man. No crazy antics, no extravagant over-acting, just an introverted meekness. Perhaps the usually comedic actor was able to harness what is normally at the heart of every funny-man, insecurity. Whatever it was, it worked. There were a couple of scenes where he was able to employ his physical humor as well. My one complaint, I still don't think he can weep convincingly... I remember thinking the same thing while I watched the Truman show. But that is a minor thing really.
The plot of the movie (I will try not to give away too many spoilers), is that Joel (played by Jim) wants to get the memories of his girlfriend Clementine (Kate Winslet) erased. From there we have two plots, that of the people doing the erasing, and of Joel's memories as they play backwards in his mind during the procedure. We then see his relationship with Clementine. As the movie progresses, Joel becomes more conscious of the whole thing, and starts talking with his memories as well as trying to hide them deep within his psyche. Nevertheless, it is not as crazy as it sounds. Don't get me wrong it IS trippy, but not all that confusing.
It is a very sweet movie; and by sweet I mean in the more feminine use of the word and not "cool" but "sensitive and touching." It speaks about regret and how we see things. Our minds work in strange ways, storing memories away, and remembering what we want according the the present. It comments about our negativity and about the risks we take in living. We cannot live without risk, the moment you confide in someone you run the risk of getting hurt and making mistakes. Though a bit fatalistic (and realistic in my opinion) about our inevitable fate of being hurt, it finally says that the process of loving outways the probable outcome of pain. Strangely enough, it ended on a very upbeat note, and I left fairly inspired.
Technically, the movie was very well done. The use of lenses and of post production effects made me feel like I really was gazing inside the inner workings of someone's mind. Feeling at times like a memory or imagination, the film sequences collapsed, dissolved and melted into eachother. On the other hand, many of these scenes seemed more realistic and vivid than the "real" scenes (much like a recollection of a vivid dream). It is arguable that the director overdid the use of special effects, making the whole film too hazy, losing its edge. However, I didn't think that they hindered me in the appreciation of what was trying to be communicated. I would like to get a copy of the script, because several times I wondered "how did the writer describe that??" The writer, by the way, is the same writer as `Adaptation,' and`Being John Malkovich'... so you know that it is not going to be your normal kind of film.
It is hard to describe this movie, but I have tried. I left the theatre with the satisfaction of money well spent, which is not very common. This is a rare movie, a gem. Go see it, if you have half a brain, you will thank me later.
If you want the short version of my review it is this: Go see this movie. It is one of the best movies I have a seen in a long time (and I see many many many movies). In fact, at this point in my life it has easily moved up into my top 20 favorite movies of all time.
The movie stars two actors which I have never really considered to be all that great doing an extraodinary job. Kate Winslet did a good job being a sort of crazy, impulsive free spirit; but in my mind, it was Jim Carrey who really shined in this piece. Yes, you read my right, Jim Carrey, the man who played such deep and challenging parts as "The Mask," "Lloyd from dumb and dumber," and "Ace Ventura" (yes, that was sarcasm). But in this piece, Mr. Carrey was excellent. His previous attempts at gaining acclaim in serious roles failed miserably ("Truman Show" was fun, but he was mediocre at best; and let us try to forget "The Majestic" fiasco). No, here Jim finally found a role that fit him. He played an insecure and boring man. No crazy antics, no extravagant over-acting, just an introverted meekness. Perhaps the usually comedic actor was able to harness what is normally at the heart of every funny-man, insecurity. Whatever it was, it worked. There were a couple of scenes where he was able to employ his physical humor as well. My one complaint, I still don't think he can weep convincingly... I remember thinking the same thing while I watched the Truman show. But that is a minor thing really.
The plot of the movie (I will try not to give away too many spoilers), is that Joel (played by Jim) wants to get the memories of his girlfriend Clementine (Kate Winslet) erased. From there we have two plots, that of the people doing the erasing, and of Joel's memories as they play backwards in his mind during the procedure. We then see his relationship with Clementine. As the movie progresses, Joel becomes more conscious of the whole thing, and starts talking with his memories as well as trying to hide them deep within his psyche. Nevertheless, it is not as crazy as it sounds. Don't get me wrong it IS trippy, but not all that confusing.
It is a very sweet movie; and by sweet I mean in the more feminine use of the word and not "cool" but "sensitive and touching." It speaks about regret and how we see things. Our minds work in strange ways, storing memories away, and remembering what we want according the the present. It comments about our negativity and about the risks we take in living. We cannot live without risk, the moment you confide in someone you run the risk of getting hurt and making mistakes. Though a bit fatalistic (and realistic in my opinion) about our inevitable fate of being hurt, it finally says that the process of loving outways the probable outcome of pain. Strangely enough, it ended on a very upbeat note, and I left fairly inspired.
Technically, the movie was very well done. The use of lenses and of post production effects made me feel like I really was gazing inside the inner workings of someone's mind. Feeling at times like a memory or imagination, the film sequences collapsed, dissolved and melted into eachother. On the other hand, many of these scenes seemed more realistic and vivid than the "real" scenes (much like a recollection of a vivid dream). It is arguable that the director overdid the use of special effects, making the whole film too hazy, losing its edge. However, I didn't think that they hindered me in the appreciation of what was trying to be communicated. I would like to get a copy of the script, because several times I wondered "how did the writer describe that??" The writer, by the way, is the same writer as `Adaptation,' and`Being John Malkovich'... so you know that it is not going to be your normal kind of film.
It is hard to describe this movie, but I have tried. I left the theatre with the satisfaction of money well spent, which is not very common. This is a rare movie, a gem. Go see it, if you have half a brain, you will thank me later.
Comments