Vermont and nonsense

This weekend my father came up to visit me. I had not seen him in 9 months and it was time. I was a bit nervous about his arrival, because it is never been easy to see him; a depressed man is not the best thing for one's mood. However this time things went smoothly, and I can say that I actually enjoyed the time we spent together. We went to Vermont and went camping. Vermont is very pretty, and I am sure that it will be even more magnificent in a couple weeks when the leaves change.



On another note, I am enjoying my english classes. Most of all I like the creative writing course I am taking. It is very corny. It makes you write very corny things, that you would normally feel embarrassed to compose. However, they are a lot of fun to do. Today I had to hand in a piece of nonsense poetry. I had a list of words, from which I had to pick a few to use in the poem. Then I had a series of structural rules that I had to comply with. The only other other directions for the assignment was that it had to have a certain number of rhymes and that it had to be complete nonsense. By nonsense I mean that grammatically everything had to make sense, but it had to have no literal meaning. It was kind of fun to do. Here it is:





For me to kiss your soft throat

is but a blissful dream

of cream and velvet adjectives.

My yes comes apart

at all its new leather seams

as I speak empty threats.



The hot wind and breezy cold

plague my soft beliefs

pulling your unwavering surprise

out of a red felt cap.

And all I see are your blue

eyes cutting through passing clouds.



Hordes of determined fettuccini

advance doggedly towards me

as I hug the mud below

hoping not to be seen.

It would be a sin to stay

home when the orange is red.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs