A blog, a blog! My kingdom for a blog!
I am sitting in my lilliputian sized room, at what can scarcely be called a desk, in the ringing silence of my Oxford house. How was that for an opening line? Catchy? Have a... "ring"... to it? I caught the attention of the reader, by using the slightly esoteric word lilliputian, which would be a nice one for scrabble. We have a board here, but I have not played yet. Of course, my positive critique is sarcastic. It is a terrible line. For one thing, it is whiny, and I have nothing to whine about. Yes, my room is small, but I like it that way actually. I grew up with a small room and I think I am more at home in a manageable sized space. Also, the word "sized" is kind of redundant next to the adjective lilliputian, which already denotes size. Neither did I mention that the small space is mine and mine alone. No roommates or people to have to be considerate towards (not that I am very considerate anyway, just ask David). Yes, I am aware that I am writing in fragmented sentences, get over it. This is a blog, not the friggin New Yorker. Speaking of which, the New Yorker has a hellova lot of fragmented sentences, but they like to call them "poems" or "artistic licenses;" I like to call mine "laziness." Semantics. Where was I?
Oh, right, the opening sentence. Yes, it is misleading. It is too gloomy, to over-dramatic. Too, (dare I say it?) melodramatic. Side note, why is melodramatic only spelled with one "L" and mellow is spelled with two? If anyone knows, tell me. Anyway, the whole tone of my introduction is all wrong. It makes it sound like I am sad and lonely. This, of course, is not right at all. I am happier than I have been in 5 years. I am not just saying that either. I am really happy. It is strange. The sensation feels foreign. Not that I have been miserable for the past 5 years... but I was not a happy either. This is a welcome change.
This stream of consciousness is probably wearing you guys down. Back to that intro sentence. Oh great... "ringing silence"?? What is that? But... the house IS quiet though. I just got back from London. My buddy Kenny, from spain, was visiting me this weekend and we went into the city to spend the day before he left. When I got back, there were no signs of life. I wondered if I had been left behind in the rapture, in which case I would have called up Tim Lahaye, who is bound to be left as well. But people were still here, locked away in their rooms, pouring over texts that would put chronic insomniacs to sleep. They are political science majors. I suppose I should be doing similar things tonight, but I do not have my books yet because of my friend's visit this weekend.
Instead I am here, sitting at my desk (which actually deserves to be called lilliputian), starting up a blog. Why? I am not quite sure. Lord knows I have enough work to do to occupy my time with. And I dont really want to start up yet another corner of angst on the world wide web, there are plenty of those to be found. I suppose I have started it because some of you have asked me to. I cannot imagine that I have that much to say or contribute to most of your lives, but if I can give you 5 minutes of relief from your sad and pathetic existences then I am happy. Or maybe your lives just look good by comparison after reading about mine. Of course, if you have read this far, then ONE of our lives has got to be bad. Sheesh. Next time I think I'll open with "It was a dark and stormy night."
Oh, right, the opening sentence. Yes, it is misleading. It is too gloomy, to over-dramatic. Too, (dare I say it?) melodramatic. Side note, why is melodramatic only spelled with one "L" and mellow is spelled with two? If anyone knows, tell me. Anyway, the whole tone of my introduction is all wrong. It makes it sound like I am sad and lonely. This, of course, is not right at all. I am happier than I have been in 5 years. I am not just saying that either. I am really happy. It is strange. The sensation feels foreign. Not that I have been miserable for the past 5 years... but I was not a happy either. This is a welcome change.
This stream of consciousness is probably wearing you guys down. Back to that intro sentence. Oh great... "ringing silence"?? What is that? But... the house IS quiet though. I just got back from London. My buddy Kenny, from spain, was visiting me this weekend and we went into the city to spend the day before he left. When I got back, there were no signs of life. I wondered if I had been left behind in the rapture, in which case I would have called up Tim Lahaye, who is bound to be left as well. But people were still here, locked away in their rooms, pouring over texts that would put chronic insomniacs to sleep. They are political science majors. I suppose I should be doing similar things tonight, but I do not have my books yet because of my friend's visit this weekend.
Instead I am here, sitting at my desk (which actually deserves to be called lilliputian), starting up a blog. Why? I am not quite sure. Lord knows I have enough work to do to occupy my time with. And I dont really want to start up yet another corner of angst on the world wide web, there are plenty of those to be found. I suppose I have started it because some of you have asked me to. I cannot imagine that I have that much to say or contribute to most of your lives, but if I can give you 5 minutes of relief from your sad and pathetic existences then I am happy. Or maybe your lives just look good by comparison after reading about mine. Of course, if you have read this far, then ONE of our lives has got to be bad. Sheesh. Next time I think I'll open with "It was a dark and stormy night."