I got an email from God... or one of his close friends
I recently received an intriguing email. It read as follows:
Ryan,
I hope things are going well at Oxford.
Also, I hope you haven't been making any prank calls using my name.
Take care,
Barry Loy
Dean of Students
The pranking in question occurred over a year ago, some friends and I were in my apartment trying to have fun. But the x-box soon grew boring, and people had pilfered the kitchen as much as they were going to be able to (the girls mostly complained of the lack of foods not relating to the starch or meat varieties). Someone finally suggested the cliché yet funny idea of prank calls.
It was late enough that we were more than ready to laugh at anything that happened to even be remotely funny, so the stage for a good set of pranking was set. None of us could do it without laughing except for the master of all that is hilarious, Wuske. We decided not to go with the traditional "Hello sir, I'm calling from CET, it seems that we have detected a large number of pornography sites being viewed from your IP address." That was too risky and likely to actually be true, resulting in a sobbing student on the other end of the line begging us for another chance. Instead we opted for a variant where Wuske called a freshman student (they fall for anything if you get them soon enough in the year) claiming to the dean of students. While it was his voice that made everything all the more funny (it sounded nothing like Barry), the following conversation will give you a general idea on how things usually went.
At that point the conversation would die because the rest of us in the room would erupt in uncontrollable laughter.
But the question still remains. How did Barry find out? I dont even know barry! At first I wondered if it actually WAS Barry. However, the email was sent from Barry's school address, one that (as far as I know) cannot be faked. Someone must have told him the story. Since he emailed me and not Wuske, I have good reason to believe that this story was recounted to him by someone who heard about the pranking from me. But anyway. Here is to Barry, the only administrator whom everyone I know likes.
----------------------------------------------------------
Ok, some people have complained mildly about the lack of comments in my blog. I cannot completely verbalize why I dont want them, I suppose I mean for my blog to just be a way for me to get my thoughts out there. I dont usually want feedback. But every now and then I will enable the comments... I dont know when or why, but I will. Like today!
PS: the comments are sorta hidden next to the title... it is just a number, starting with 0.
Ryan,
I hope things are going well at Oxford.
Also, I hope you haven't been making any prank calls using my name.
Take care,
Barry Loy
Dean of Students
The pranking in question occurred over a year ago, some friends and I were in my apartment trying to have fun. But the x-box soon grew boring, and people had pilfered the kitchen as much as they were going to be able to (the girls mostly complained of the lack of foods not relating to the starch or meat varieties). Someone finally suggested the cliché yet funny idea of prank calls.
It was late enough that we were more than ready to laugh at anything that happened to even be remotely funny, so the stage for a good set of pranking was set. None of us could do it without laughing except for the master of all that is hilarious, Wuske. We decided not to go with the traditional "Hello sir, I'm calling from CET, it seems that we have detected a large number of pornography sites being viewed from your IP address." That was too risky and likely to actually be true, resulting in a sobbing student on the other end of the line begging us for another chance. Instead we opted for a variant where Wuske called a freshman student (they fall for anything if you get them soon enough in the year) claiming to the dean of students. While it was his voice that made everything all the more funny (it sounded nothing like Barry), the following conversation will give you a general idea on how things usually went.
Student: Hello?
Wuske: Hello, is this Jim Stevenson?
(we would look their names up in the student database prior to calling)
Student:The unsuspecting victim would then confirm his identity.
Wuske: Hi Jim, this is Barry Loy the Dean of Students.
Student: (paranoid, nervous acknowledgment)
Wuske: Jim I have been reviewing the Chapel attendance records tonight and yours stood out among the rest of the incoming class as being unusually low. Jim, this is a very serious matter. If you continue at this rate you will NOT fulfill your requirements on time.
(Sometimes we would be right and the student would then issue forth a string of excuses, apologies and confessions to which Wuske would say:)
Wuske: Son this is a serious matter. Do not think that I will not hesitate to call your parents about this if you do not shape up.
(panicked squeals would be heard from the other end of the line) Then wuske would spend time sermonizing the kid about the importance of chapel. However, there was another possibility for the conversation. If the student was a diligent freshman and HAD attended chapel then Wuske's accusations would be followed by very defensive protests
Wuske: The computer doesnt lie Jim. It says here that you have only attended 6 chapels. (again the student would protest) Do you think I am stupid? Are you trying to trick me Jim? Chapel is a serious matter. You can lie to me, but will you lie to the lord Jesus Christ?!?
At that point the conversation would die because the rest of us in the room would erupt in uncontrollable laughter.
But the question still remains. How did Barry find out? I dont even know barry! At first I wondered if it actually WAS Barry. However, the email was sent from Barry's school address, one that (as far as I know) cannot be faked. Someone must have told him the story. Since he emailed me and not Wuske, I have good reason to believe that this story was recounted to him by someone who heard about the pranking from me. But anyway. Here is to Barry, the only administrator whom everyone I know likes.
----------------------------------------------------------
Ok, some people have complained mildly about the lack of comments in my blog. I cannot completely verbalize why I dont want them, I suppose I mean for my blog to just be a way for me to get my thoughts out there. I dont usually want feedback. But every now and then I will enable the comments... I dont know when or why, but I will. Like today!
PS: the comments are sorta hidden next to the title... it is just a number, starting with 0.
Comments