Lost, Luxury, and Women in the Workplace

I am sitting in my room. Its late. Its dark outside, and odds are it is wet there too. I cant be sure about the moisture since I cant be bothered to open my curtains. I must admit that today was a pretty well wasted day. I spent quite a few hours watching many episodes from the first season of Lost that I rented on a whim. I am addicted and cannot wait to get the rest of the season, but I will wait until after my tutorials on Thursday. If I get them sooner then the rest of my week will be wasted. In truth, it wasn't my plan to spend the day like that.

This morning I got up to do some errands. The light outside was doing that weird thing that it does here when a low fog fills the air but the sun still shines brightly above it. The sun is diffused through the fog and shines into places usually filled with shadows and makes the streets look like a movie set, unnaturally lit with an omnidirectional light source. I left the house to go to Tesco's (the main supermarket around here) and to give back a rental that I got when my friend David Perez was here a couple of days ago. That is when I was distracted by the season of Lost.

I spent quite a while in Tesco's. I needed to buy everyday items like soap, paper towels, ketchup, and other boring items. But unlike any of my English shopping trips, this time I had cash to spend. So I bought a much coveted frying pan of my own (the old ones in my house are basically useless since they have had the Teflon scratched off and probably consumed with badly burnt food). I also bought luxury food items like bacon and meat, as well as rice crispy treats and tea cakes.

The only reason I have been able to purchase these items is because this week I finally found a job. One of the girls in my program works in an interior decorating store and told me that they had an opening. It fit my schedule pretty well, so I quickly snatched it up. I spend the day selling Scandinavian imports like pillows, quilts, plates, chairs, tables, and little odds and ends. The store is not one that is frequented by testorone but by middle aged women who ask me questions that I do not know how to answer ("is this self cleaning silver?" "are these chairs made of birch or pine?" "would you consider having children with my daughters?" etc). Other than that, it is generally an easy going job that consists of me pointing a bar code reader at an item, and charging them for it. I work with a lady who is the manager and I try to stay busy with the cash register so that she can answer all queries brought on by the curious housewives. She is very nice and easy to work with and has so far been very understanding and patient with my ineptitude involving home furnishing.
Besides the perk of working in a place that smells pleasantly feminine (there is always a candle burning somewhere) this job will more than double my monthly income making it easy for me to eat properly, buy books, and generally have more fun. Who knows? I may even be able to save a little for spring break.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know the feeling. My first job ever, was at a furniture store and I was constantly harrassed by customers wanting to know the difference between teak and mahogany. I told them to tell their friends it was made out of whichever wood was currently more popular and it worked!
Anonymous said…
ah, my dear ryan...

finally i am reconnected to the rest of the universe in the broadest of bands.

i met eva o'reagan on the flight home from spain and she mentioned you had started a blog again; so, here i am, letting you know of my concern for your present and futures.

we should have met up, really.. but i was so disoriented and only found out you had been there the day after you left.

but anyway, i am back in belfast and seeing as i missed your last stop on this god forsaken island we should arrange for one in the future. all the tiny pieces of my life seem to be clicking into place quite nicely now, and it's almost spring. so yes, count on continued communication.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs