Things I love about england

*OK, ok... after a post that was gripped by senioritis despair coupled with a healthy dash of mk angst I have regained my senses a bit and have calmed back down to a more rational state of befuddlement as I examine my many options. But options are a good thing. I just have to remember that and realize that I may have gotten a bit carried away in my assesment of my current state of affairs.*


Things I Love About England
>A list<



-The way two veiled muslim women will walk by chatting in an aristocratic, RP accented, perfect, standard, queens english.
-The way the porter at the Bodleian will call me "sir" (Me: awful weather outside today isnt it? Porter: Indeed it is, Sir)
-Cornish Pasties (portable meat pies... much like empanadas only hot and filled with many more goodies.
-Cask Ales. They dont have cheap spigots or pressurized kegs. They have to be hand pumped out of a cask.
-The fact that people like Queen and Bowie here.
-The way religion is not a hot topic or political button. What one believes is his own business and can be discussed with others without making anyone particularly offended.
-That this is the only place I've been where I can get spanish food products outside of spain.
-There is a street lamp a block away from my house that has a large leaf partially covering the light. It makes a cool shadow. I like it.
-The fact that homeless people actually sell a publication worth buying.
-That all churches around here have a "Make Poverty History" banner on them.
-English people find any excuse to have a fancy dress party (costume party)
-The way older ladies call people "love" (ya all right there love?")
-The number of accents you can find.
-Steak and Ale pie. yum.
-Its blue skies are twice as pretty when you dont see them often.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Things I observe (sometimes like, sometimes not) in The North:

- the way two veiled muslim woman walk about talking in geordie northern broken accents and you still can't understand a word.
- the way the gentlemen at formal parties address me as an "ulster laddie" when, in fact, I'm American raised in Spain.
- mince pies and yorkshire puddings won my heart over (yes, my heart is in my stomach).
- the fact that people like X-Factor and SUN newspaper.
- the way religion is a more intellectual issue than actually surprising lifestyle in most people's minds.
- the lack of fuet and the high prices of Spanish food here, I can't afford it yet.
- there is a street lamp right in front of my window that never goes off, I have not yet seen pitch darkness except when walking home from catering work through a parcial forest.
- The fact that there is a competition in who will take your money on the streets, homeless people, SAVE THE CHILDREN, OXFAM, and a multiple of others mobbing you (not the homeless people, I must distinguish) at every corner.
- That there are SO MANY CHURCHES, with or without "Make Poverty History" signs.
- English people find any excuse to have a fancy dress party (especially so-called "formals") and, without exception, to get as hammered as possible as such events.
- The way older ladies call me "pet" ("Did you get that, pet?").
- The number of unintelligeable accents you hear and cannot, for the life of you, comprehend.
- The deserts, when you can afford them, are exquisitly tasty.
- Its blue skies are a thousand times as pretty because they are a needle in the haystack of clouds here.

Funny how things look from a slighty different perspective, isn't it?
Anonymous said…
It's great that you (and Kenny) are looking for good things in the non-home places you are living. I have to try to remind myself of the good often. Like Libraries with myriad book in English and garbage disposals and the beach.
Anonymous said…
jenn.. did you actually read kennys stuff?... they are far from positive for the most part.
Anonymous said…
I must clarify that they are not really negative. I'm actually enjoying England more than I care to admit, I just like annoying Ryan with sarcastic commentaries... None of them are negative, they do, however contrast the rough North with what seems to be a more typical South. But, then again, you can always find whatever you are looking for in people and cultures... Love you man.
Anonymous said…
Yes, I read every one. I know there was quite a bit of negative. But to me it sounded more like affectionate banter than really negative comments. After all, what's not to be loved about being called "pet"?
Anonymous said…
this entry just worsened the unbelievable nostalgia I am feeling for Oxford. it's just getting silly.

good to hear you're taking your time with decisions about next year. it's your life...don't rush things, friend.

peace,

erin
Anonymous said…
Yes, Jen, you understood me...perfectly "affectionate banter" is the perfect term for the effect I was trying to transmit, that or, as the Irish say "taking the piss".
Anonymous said…
I've been inspired to start a series of ramblings on interesting things I'm finding of England on my blog newsfromkennyland.blogspot.com, thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs