The sweet lowdown

Two things are making me happy. One, the episode of Freaks and Geeks that I am watching right now (the best "high school" show since The Wonder Years). Two, I have been unconsciously making a list of things that I want to do in Boston since I found out that I was going to the US.
So, why not name some of them? We will assume that "seeing friends" does not need to be mentioned since I am actually going to Boston for that very purpose.

- Eat at Nicks Famous Roast Beef in North Beverly. Anyone who has eaten there knows exactly what I am talking about. I seriously dream about a Super Beef on an onion roll. With bbq sauce.
- Go to singing beachIt isn't really anything special. Its just a beach, though the sand squeaks when you walk on it. Apparently this happens in other places, but on the north shore I think it only happens there. But I want to go there for the memories more than anything else.
-Hang out at Gordon for a while... there are sub-categories on this one
eat some of the chicken pizza
take a walk in Gordon Woods
talk to professor Stevick
make fun of freshmen in my mind
secretly wish I were one of the aforementioned freshmen
say hi to the physical plant staff
-Do the "Boston thing" ... there are sub-categories on this one
Go to the Commons
Go to Harvard square
Get something to munch in Quincy Market
-A Slurpee. Followed by another one and another for the duration of my visit.
-Visit a couple of the old Bars and Pubs There are a couple of them on the northshore that I used to hang out at all the time, I would like to go there with some of the old crowd. The Pickled Onion, Kitty's, Salem Beerworks... good places to hang with friends over a cold one.
-Fire Bull Restaurant OK this one isn't really that special, but the all you can eat Brazilian barbecue is friggin awesome. Actually, all you can eat anything is friggin awesome. We don't really get those in Spain. I would do Fire and Ice, or heck even China Buffet if it were still around...

-There are a million other things that would be sweet to do. Things that I didn't even particularly care about back at Gordon. Captain Dusty's ice cream, Russel Orchards, all that crap. Its funny how things you did often but didn't particularly care about suddenly take on meaning when you are away. But some things cant be replicated. Some things that gave me joy, like going to Stop and Shop with my roomates, just wouldn't make sense without the apartment to go back to to cook up the stuff we bought, or trips to Subway sandwiches with my coworkers wouldn't be as fun without feeling like we were escaping from work. Ah well, Ill get whatever I can take.

Comments

D said…
Hey there Ryan! I read your comment a while ago and have only gotten a minute to respond now, since I've been super busy doing summer camp here. But now I have a break, thanks food poisoning! I really appreciate your encouragement and the fact that someone is reading my silly thoughts, even in Spain!! I haven't gotten to read much of your blog, just skimming the entries, but I appreciate your thoughts, and your Boston to-do list makes me really nostalgic!
Jenn said…
Ryan, do you notice that all but one of your to do list items involves food? But since food is almost as important as friends and true friends always eat food together, I can see why. I hope you enjoy Boston.

Also, I loved Freaks and Geeks. Charles never really got into it so I think I stopped watching and don't even know if they made more than one season.
Anonymous said…
No trip to Fenway?
Ryan said…
I thought about Fenway just minutes after posting. It would be sweet to get in a game, and I guess baseball will still be in full swing. Maybe I will...
nepali keti said…
ryan! totally forgot that you blog!! yay for (working) internet....it's kind of a rarity here...you'll need a mix of timing, electricity and luck. too bad you're gonna be in boston when i'm not; (

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs