Late nights and microwave lights

I haven't been able to get to sleep earlier than 3 or 4 in the morning lately. It is America's fault, like most things these days, according to european news sources. Ever since I came back from the States I haven't been able to sleep at night. Maybe I'm haunted by its lingering memories, maybe enamored with its visions, or maybe I just haven't tried getting over jetlag. Because I don't work mornings, or at all lately, I can sleep in as long as I want... not the best motivator to get up early and get into a normal schedule.

To be honest, it is only a bit of a nuisance because the rest of the world doesn't function like I do. But other than that, I am really enjoying my late nights. I am a night owl, though most of my life I haven't been able to indulge that facet of my personality. I like staying up late. I think I like the solitude of it, though I love a late night conversation. I am not so much a fan of late night group madness. To me, nighttime is loaded with romance and mystery, and I would much rather spend the late hours wandering down a dirt road, or lying on the beach, than amidst bright lights and noise. Hmm... actually, I like the bright night and noise too (yay for techno clubs, pirate parties and concerts!), but given the choice would choose the former.

Strangely enough, I like darkness. I say that this is strange because as a child it terrified me. I guess most children are scared of the dark to a certain extent, but I was more scared than most. Blame it on my overactive imagination. Every corner held a boogeyman, dinosaur, or giant crab ready to tear me to pieces if I got distracted. So I would cower in my bed as my brain conjured up all sorts of horrors waiting in the dark. But then, for some reason, I got over my fear of the dark. Or perhaps not, perhaps I just got used to it, or even learned to like it. Part of the fun about darkness is that you dont know what is out there, the possibilities are endless. Is that the sofa sitting there in my living room? Or is it a heap of dead bodies? Or a giant stack of money? Or a sleeping horse? Or is it just the sofa? In the dark, everything becomes one of Schrödinger's quantum cats.

The thing is, I really like light too. Perhaps that is another reason that I like darkness so much. When I am alone at home, I try not to turn on any lights as the day progresses into night. I like seeing the way the house changes as the sunlight moves and changes color. Without the dark, the light wouldn't make much sense. My favorite dark room is the kitchen. There are three lights that make it particularly wonderful to be in when the rest of the house is pitch black: 1) The light that the stove gives off is great. Light flickering blue flames that are quite mystical when you walk in and see them hovering in the middle of the kitchen. 2) the refrigerator. For some reason the white, sterile, refrigerated light it gives off is eerie and alien. 3) The microwave. This is perhaps my favorite. It is a friendly glow that makes me feel warm.

It is this combination of light and dark that makes city night-walking so wonderful. Downtown madrid is great. I love its yellow-orange lamps. They reflect of the stone buildings really nicely. You guys should really check it out.

Comments

Jenn said…
I've always been a morning person myself, but for the same solitude that you enjoy the night. I like to get up when the air feels crisp and the light is just beginning to dawn and spend some time with my body (it used to be running, now it's yoga), drinking a cup of tea and then meditating. But since I live with Charles again I haven't spent as much time enjoying my mornings because he's always up getting ready for work, which throws off the mood.
Ryan said…
yeah, there is nothing worse than getting up in the morning and having someone else already up. I hate that.
A Guided Drift said…
the light our stove lamp gives off is really nice. unfortunately, the stove itself is one of those hotpad type ones, so it doesn't actually have a cool flame. ah well, we make do, i guess.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs