Super fast
Well, many of you know that I am doing a fast and stuff. So after recieving inquireries (sp?) on it, here are the savory details.
Month of Monasticism
40 Days of Fasting and Simplicity
Goals:
To emulate many of the early church fathers and medieval mystics who followed in the tradition of monastic orders.
To life a life of simplicity in order to better understand those who have less than we do, and rid myself of the unnecessary.
That through self sacrifice and personal effort I may be able to focus purely on God, gaining new spiritual insight, with God’s infinite mercy, through my efforts.
To rid myself of many of the distractions, cultural pretensions, and walls that keep me from spiritual discipline.
To engage in forms of spiritual discipline many times ignored in my usual denominational background, in order to find new ways to seek God.
To live in accordance to the motto of St. Benedictine: “Ora et Labora”
Methods and Implementations:
Fasting:
Food: No solid food will be consumed from 8 AM until sunset.
Fashion: Same simple garments will be used for the duration of the fast.
Media:
o No movies
o No television
o No Magazines
o No Secular music
o No Internet other than that required for class and basic communication.
Prayer:
I will pray for a minimum of an hour in the morning, getting up early as needed.
I will pray for an hour before bed.
I will attempt to live my daily activities as a living prayer to God.
I will pray as I go along in menial labors.
Aesthetics:
Forsake exterior frivolous ties with superficiality
Same food patterns (types, times, non-indulgence in extra meals)
Only cold showers
Same clothing for a month, hand washed
Attitude:
I will attempt to treat everyone equally in love
I will speak my heart, with disregard for public opinion
I will not be ashamed of the gospel of Christ
I will strive for emotional balance and interior peace, that I may not be swayed by superficial emotions and human perspective.
I will fight my heart from reverting to the fallen state by making a conscious effort to fight pride, and embrace humility.
I will listen to those who give me counsel and exhortation.
Activities:
I will flee from activities involving unwholesome talk, actions, attitudes or environments.
I will attempt to be involved in spiritual activity (communal) every day, as available.
I will spend great time in study and work, in order to honor God with my actions.
I will read and study the word of God, and books of spiritual theme, in order that I may grow and flourish as a Christian.
I will spend times of reflection, contemplation and prayer, in retreat from my usual environment, walking amidst God’s creation.
Conclusion:
I will follow all these things for the total of 40 days starting on Wednesday, September 17, 2003, in order to attain, as Brennan Manning put it, “personal discipline over media bombardment, mind control, sterile conversation, private prayer and the subjugation of the senses.” By seeking these things, I hope to grow closer to the Master, and to rid myself of self, empty myself of humanity and gain passion for the sake of Christ.
Month of Monasticism
40 Days of Fasting and Simplicity
Goals:
To emulate many of the early church fathers and medieval mystics who followed in the tradition of monastic orders.
To life a life of simplicity in order to better understand those who have less than we do, and rid myself of the unnecessary.
That through self sacrifice and personal effort I may be able to focus purely on God, gaining new spiritual insight, with God’s infinite mercy, through my efforts.
To rid myself of many of the distractions, cultural pretensions, and walls that keep me from spiritual discipline.
To engage in forms of spiritual discipline many times ignored in my usual denominational background, in order to find new ways to seek God.
To live in accordance to the motto of St. Benedictine: “Ora et Labora”
Methods and Implementations:
Fasting:
o No movies
o No television
o No Magazines
o No Secular music
o No Internet other than that required for class and basic communication.
Prayer:
Aesthetics:
Attitude:
Activities:
Conclusion:
I will follow all these things for the total of 40 days starting on Wednesday, September 17, 2003, in order to attain, as Brennan Manning put it, “personal discipline over media bombardment, mind control, sterile conversation, private prayer and the subjugation of the senses.” By seeking these things, I hope to grow closer to the Master, and to rid myself of self, empty myself of humanity and gain passion for the sake of Christ.
Comments