School Plans
I have never been into school all that much. Really. I have always enjoyed learning, but have never been a straight "A" student. In fact, I have always been more of a straight "C" kinda guy. Well, for some reason I have gotten motivated this semester, and have gotten a desire to do as well as I can. So far so good I think. I have a goal, which always helps. I would like to go to Oxford next year. Gordon has a year-long program at the university in Oxford, England. I have always wanted to do some program abroad, even though in some ways... studying here is abroad. But you know what I mean; to study in some country that I am not really from in any way (by birth or passport).
Originally, I wanted to go to France and learn french. I have been taking french classes and was hoping to finally get the language down by going over there. The plan was for me to go over there next semester, but I realized that there was no way I could get my english major done properly and to go to France. So I started looking at possibilities that would work with my major. The only official one was Oxford. The only problem with that was that the Oxford program is sort of an honors program in some ways. It is selective and challenging. I still want to go though. One of the obstacles in my way is my lacking GPA, I have around a 3.1 and you need at least a 3.2, with most applicants having beyond that. But here I am trying to raise my grade point average to make it in. It doesnt all depend on my grades, which could or could not be nice. I have to do an interview, and have a written recomendation from an academic something or other.
So I have been trying fairly hard to excell. I was doing fairly well, until I came to Computer Science, which I have to take in order to fulfill my core curriculum requirements. I am not a math person, and Algorythms and stuff mess with my brain. Our midterm was on friday, and I was convinced that I did very poorly. So poorly in fact, that I decided that there was no way that I would ever go to oxford. Today he handed the tests back. The insanity. We (the whole class basically) were not looking forward to that. On top of it all, he told us that he wasnt able to curve much, cause some sorry bastard got a 96.5 and killed the curve. I considered myself doomed. However, when he gave me the test back I got the biggest suprise of my life when I found out that I was the sorry bastard that had killed the curve. I am very happy and pumped and motivated to keep studying... who knows maybe I'll make it after all.
Originally, I wanted to go to France and learn french. I have been taking french classes and was hoping to finally get the language down by going over there. The plan was for me to go over there next semester, but I realized that there was no way I could get my english major done properly and to go to France. So I started looking at possibilities that would work with my major. The only official one was Oxford. The only problem with that was that the Oxford program is sort of an honors program in some ways. It is selective and challenging. I still want to go though. One of the obstacles in my way is my lacking GPA, I have around a 3.1 and you need at least a 3.2, with most applicants having beyond that. But here I am trying to raise my grade point average to make it in. It doesnt all depend on my grades, which could or could not be nice. I have to do an interview, and have a written recomendation from an academic something or other.
So I have been trying fairly hard to excell. I was doing fairly well, until I came to Computer Science, which I have to take in order to fulfill my core curriculum requirements. I am not a math person, and Algorythms and stuff mess with my brain. Our midterm was on friday, and I was convinced that I did very poorly. So poorly in fact, that I decided that there was no way that I would ever go to oxford. Today he handed the tests back. The insanity. We (the whole class basically) were not looking forward to that. On top of it all, he told us that he wasnt able to curve much, cause some sorry bastard got a 96.5 and killed the curve. I considered myself doomed. However, when he gave me the test back I got the biggest suprise of my life when I found out that I was the sorry bastard that had killed the curve. I am very happy and pumped and motivated to keep studying... who knows maybe I'll make it after all.
Comments