Thanksgiving
Turkey and potatoes and family and friends. Yesterday I had nothing of the sort. I sat on a plane the whole day. The flight attendant came by towards the end of the flight and asked me if I wanted a cheese or a turkey sandwich. I chose turkey, it being thanksgiving and all. Upon arriving in Boston I took the T (subway, for the non Bostonian) to the North Station and then waited there for an hour for the commuter rail to take me up to the north shore, where Gordon is. As I waited, I crossed the wet street and went into the 7-11 and bought a Slurpee and a bag of Doritos, a sumptuous thanksgiving feast. Naturally, I bought the largest Slurpee available, because it was Thanksgiving after all. As I exited the 7-11, I gave a buck to a homeless guy and I headed back into the commuter station. Once inside, I sat down on a wooden bench and munched on my ranch flavored Doritos. The cold slurpee cup kept leaving large water rings on the seat next to me, so I moved it to the floor. I noticed that many people came to sit down next to me, only to leave once they noticed the small pools of water on the wooden beams. It was a phenomenal discovery that I wish I had made in high school when I was always trying to find new ways to keep people from sitting next to me (yeah I know its a little schizoidal, sue me). So I sat there, eating my chips and reading a book. It was a book on the history of the Black Plague, a bit morbid I suppose, but interesting nonetheless. I notice that the stationmaster had a whole thanksgiving feast in his office, and his teenage daughter was there with him, it was nice. Finally I got on my train and rode to Gordon. I love train rides, I miss riding them more often. My friend Dave picked me up at the station, and we drove a couple of miles through the pouring rain until we arrived at Gordon. As we drove up to Tavilla Hall (my dorm building), I noticed that there are no lights on in any of the windows.
I went into my apartment and turned on the lights, making my home the only one around that was alive. After taking a shower and plopping down in front of a good travel documentary, I made myself a wonderful thanksgiving meal of taquitos, with which I burnt my tongue with the hot cheese filling. After enjoying the bounty of frozen Mexican treats, I headed off to bed. I lay in bed, under my feather comforter, gazing at the ceiling, waiting for the music of Queen to take me away to dreamland.
I suppose I cannot complain really. The day before I had eaten some poultry goodness with my family, in the motherland. It wasnt a big hoopla, but it was nice. Check out our little bird things... we couldnt figure out what they were, but they were small and poultry-like so we bought them.
By the way, my trip to Spain was successful, and I my residency thing went fine, which is good. I pick up my new DNI (ID card) when I go home for Christmas. It is a permanent residency, and it includes a work permit, so that is really great. Now when I go back to Spain after graduation (in aprox. 1.5 years time), I can get a job there or whatever I might want. I am considering the citizenship, but it depends on what plans I have for the future at that time.
I suppose I cannot complain really. The day before I had eaten some poultry goodness with my family, in the motherland. It wasnt a big hoopla, but it was nice. Check out our little bird things... we couldnt figure out what they were, but they were small and poultry-like so we bought them.
Comments