A little piece of Hell in the Library

So I'm sitting in the library, when suddenly I think my time has come. The smell of burning sulfur fills the air, smoke obscures my senses and I am sure that ye ole devil is going to appear at any moment to eat my soul. But he didn't. I just sat there, confused and sniffing smoke. "From whence cometh this foul stench?" I wondered to myself (most of my reflexive questions are in archaic English). That is when I stopped looking around me and simply looked down at the desk where I was sitting. Smoke sizzled up from the back part of my computer. "This looketh like trouble, methinks." Turning the computer around I was relieved to find that it was not the computer itself, but the power cord. The cord in question has seen some abuse in its lifetime, and this older design has been known to break easily. So I unplugged the infernal cable and the hellfire stopped. But now I am left with a powerless computer. Alas, though it is off for now (I write from the library one), the battery will die soon and with it my good mood will go also. Fortunately one of the other students has a Mac, so I can finagle her cable long enough to email myself my current assignments and to back up the stuff that I have done this week, but that's about it. I will have to buy a new computer cable for the wonderful sum of 55 pounds. This purchase is annoying knowing that I will probably update my computer to a new powerbook later this year once Mac switches to the new Intel chips, but I need it. Alas... back to taking notes by hand, a much slower and less efficient way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I need to remember the archaic English when I'm asking myself reflexive questions. What do you do in Spanish?

Sorry to hear of the Computer Troubles. That sucketh.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs