Thanksgiving

Well, this year thanksgiving was not spent with a family of any sort. While friday some of us american students made some food, this year, the last thursday of november was spent turkeyless. I was resigned to spend the evening alone, thankless, and in the library researching classical rhetoric or some other nonsense when my friend Kate called and said that it wasnt right to be cooped up, without food or drink or merryment of any sort on thanksgiving night. Looking around me at the pasty faced nerds that were with me in the library at 9 PM, I realized that indeed I needed to get out of that scurvy place. So I packed up my books and headed outdoors, where the blistering british wind buffetted my body like the abusive parent I never had. After introducing the wind to the social services that was my scarf I headed over to the Kings Arms pub to meet up with Kate. There are quite a few Kings Arms pubs in England. No, they are not franchised, they all just have the same name. The name comes from the olden days when the King would travel around the country doing whatever it is that kings did back then, tax and opress people I guess... but anyway, when the king would stay in a town (staying with all the hoighty toighty nobles and the likes) the royal guard would stay at an inn, usually the same one everytime, one made to accomodate people of that sort. But anyway, so the Kings Arms refers to the armed forces that would have presumably stayed at this pub years ago. But back to my fascinating, riveting and completely pointless Thanksgiving tale. So I met Kate at the Pub and neither one of us had even had a bite to eat all evening... which is sad on thanksgiving when you are supposed to have cornacopias and horns o'plenty... I suppose we had horns o'empty which no natives (american or otherwise) offered to fill. So we had to fill ourselves with sad morsels consisting of salted peanuts and apples and a pint of english ale. Below I offer you a bit of fine photojournalism about our night at the pub. It is a journey of images to delight the young and old alike, but mostly the bored or those who have very low standards for entertainment.



Here we are. Dont we look pathetic with our fruits (dried or otherwise?). We are clearly very sad with our dinnner.



Swallowing the bitter pill of thankfulness.



Ufff... we are so full of food. I ate a whole drumstick of a peanut.



Here we are feeling extremely thankful for everything



But then the agonizing reality sets in.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs