The hills are undead with the sound of Christmas

Due to my new job, I have been spending a lot of time in public places writing. I can't do my translation/editing stuff at home very well because of a little thing they call the internet. It is way too distracting for me. I start working and then look up a word or verify a fact online and end up going from wikipedia entry to wikipedia entry with a couple stops at BBC news and a detour through a blog or two and never get anything done. So I leave my house and head over to the nearest Starbucks. I don't particularly like Starbucks. I used to hate it, but have come to begrudgingly accept it out of necessity. Madrid is sorely lacking in coffee shop type places. It needs some variety. A couple snooty tea rooms. A few dreadlocked coffee houses. Mix it up.

However, recently my tenuous acceptance Starbucks has begun to wane. The problem is that it is the Christmas season, and Starbucks really likes Christmas. They have their seasonal blends, their special drinks and cookies, limited edition mugs and tea towels, and worst of all... their music. Now they are famous for having their own run of music albums. They always sell CDs and have begun to publish their own music label, most famously putting out the latest Paul McCartney album. But the season of santa songs has arrived and they are plentiful. And, whereas I could once sit on one of their sofas for 4 hours and review pages of work; now, after 45 minutes, my brain is threatening to smash its way out of my skull with a candy cane.

Why is christmas music so bad? Well, for one thing, most of it has nothing to do with christmas, which is irritating. Instead it revolves around some sort of ridiculous festive mythology. Or it is full of inane platitudes about winter. The songs that are able to pull it off with any amount of class are then taken and beaten into the ground by everyone who feels the need to make a christmas album. Of course, most of these songs end up becoming pop songs, because the nature of the songs is already appealing to the "pop." Pop artists doing songs that are already pop equals unfathomable poppiness. The worst ones are those 90's divas, like Whitney Houston or Celine Dion, or god forbid, Mariah Carey. (side note rant: the absolute worst christmas song of all time, nay, crime against humanity, is "all I want for christmas is you").

But still, lets not be too hasty in throwing out a whole genre of music (in this case "Holiday"). Normally, I like traditional carols, the ones that are over 300 years old, that have earned a certain respectability and that arent as overplayed due to their dated sound and their more religious content. One of my favourite Christmas albums is one called Christmas at Oxford, which I had many years before I ever thought I would live there. It is simply choral music sung by one of the college ensembles, New College Choir, I believe.
But not all christmas songs have to be religious carols for me to like them. Like I said before, some songs weren´t bad until they got raped repeatedly by the music industry. So lets go through a small list of songs that I like.


Christmas music I like:

-River, by Joni Mitchell
This is a good song. First of all, its Joni Mitchell, who is a great songwriter. Second of all, it captures the melancholy side of winter, rather than the Jingle all the way sentiment. I recently heard an acceptable version by Sarah Maclaughan.

-Thank God its Christmas, by Queen
Freddy Mercury could be singing about his kitchen sink and I would probably still listen to it. Yes, its bombastic, yes its cheesy, but c'mon, its Queen.

-Jethro Tull Christmas Album, obviously by Jethro Tull
This album has some stuff that is a bit much, but some of the songs are really nice. Carolesque and folky.

-Happy Christmas (war is over), by John Lennon
I dunno, I like this song. Sue me. It has been overdone by tainlicks like Celine Dion, but I like the song anyway. Then again, I like John Lennon.

-Christmas Time is Here, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio
This is the key song from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. I must admit, I had never seen it, or heard it until my sophomore year at Gordon, when my RD forced the staff to watch it. Actually, I liked it. And I like Vince Guaraldi's songs for it. My only quibble is the children that sing the songs. They are consistently off pitch. But somehow that has become a part of it for a generation of listeners. But for someone who does not have the nostalgia factor, I'll take the instrumental version thankyouverymuch. Ah, also, Starflyer 59 does a sweeeet version of it.

-Feliz Navidad, by Jose Feliciano
This song has almost been run into the ground by the covers. The thing people don't realize that the whole appeal of the song was in its original rendition by Jose Feliciano, with whom the spanish/english mix both made sense and worked.

-Pedro the Lion's Christmas EP, by the one and only, Pedro the Lion
Pedro the Lion is known for approaching spirituality from a broken, honest and, many times, depressed perspective. But somehow it really works for songs like Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel, where his desperation really comes out as a prayer.

-Welcome to our World, by Chris Rice
In this whimsical little song Chris Rice recalls the christmas miracle and simply does what the title says, and welcomes Jesus to into our world during the time that is meant to remember his birth.

-White Horse, by Over the Rhine
Rapidly turning into one of my favourite groups of all time, Over the Rhine delivers a great holiday song with White Horse. It is a lullaby of sorts. Stellar

Comments

Jenn said…
I have to agree that pop musicians have ruined a lot of Christmas songs that could otherwise be great. I have always liked traditional carols best and will continue to do so. It may be from all of the years that my mom played the piano, Jo played the violin, I played the flute and Jess sang for my dad. We did everything from O Come, O Come Emmanuel (one of my favorites) to Ave Maria. Somehow I feel that the religious songs, the old ones, are REALLY Christmas.

P.S. This year Charles and I bought Handel's Messiah on iTunes and I've been listening to it and remembering the "good ol' days" of ECA Christmas concerts.
D said…
I also enjoy welcome to our world, and pedro's "i heard the bells on christmas day" is stellar too. i don't know if you like damien rice, but he has a cover of war is over that i love. i also like in the bleak midwinter.
D said…
ps my other favorite christmas songs (that are not chritmasy per se) are
-peace train- cat stevens
-one voice- wailin jennys
and peace song by this girl with an amazing voice named leela gilday. try them out
nepali keti said…
hi ryan,
it doesn't even feel like christmas. and i think it's because, for the first time in years i haven't been forced to listen to cheesy christmas songs and two because it's warm enough to wear a t-shirt during the daytime...haha
sradda
Ryan said…
davia, how in the world is Peace Train a christmas song. It is just "a song". A very good song. But I am at a loss to find any references to christmas in it besides "peace", in which case, Give Peace a Chance and every other peace song would also be holiday melodies.
A Guided Drift said…
oh crap, i am in big trouble. you are going to hate your christmas present. cringe...

but other than that, i am impressed that you at least like some christmas music. pedro the lion is always good.
Anonymous said…
ho ho ho.
i couldn't agree more with you ryan. holiday music sucks. and i am tortured at least once a day with the josh groban christmas album that is now eva's favorite. anyway, the old ones ARE the only good ones...
veni veni and bleak midwinter are good, seen them mentioned a couple of times here already. if they're folk songs they're usually alright for me too. and sometimes christmas songs done by irish bands work too. but again, it's always the old ones and not the pop ones.
oh yeah, the charlie brown christmas song by vince guaraldi is really good:-)
Miriam said…
Your consistent blogging puts me to shame.
Ryan said…
I'm sure you exagerate Afshaan. I trust your judgment. Kind of. haha.

Yes miriam. Be shamed.

Daniel. Josh Groban+Christmas=my personal hell. I'm sorry Eva, I hate to break it to you, but Josh Groban sucks. There I said it. You probably wont let me see your baby now, but I just had to clear my conscience.
Anonymous said…
Eva:
ryan- i'm slightly disappointed to read that you can't appreciate Josh Groban. that daniel bashes him- well, alright... but you like justin timberlake! i'd say josh groban is entirely more musically skilled. so, is it his style, or do you think he does not sing well??? (bear in mind that it would be delightful to be allowed to associate with our daughter).

i do think the old Christmas hymns are the best... but i can't pretend i don't love listening to all the pop-Christmas songs out there.

"so this is Christmas", for instance.
danifres said…
lol, I like that "worst christmas song ever"

and... well, I love christmas songs even if they are some kind of pop focus made. I like them because they make me feel good. Sorry for being a music illiterate but I guess that music is also about these feelings.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs