Oscar Movies: Actors and Actresses
Well, the Oscars nominations are out. I absolutely love the Oscars. It is ridiculous. The awards are subjective. Many of them are political. It is a big celebrity fest. But somehow I love it. I like awards ceremonies in general though. One of the few things that gets me feeling pseudo emotional is public recognition. I love watching hard work pay off and get recognized, especially if it is for something that I can appreciate.... like movies. So, over the course of the next week, I will give you my analysis on the nominees. I am still in the process of watching some of the movies, so some corrections may be made.
Actors and Actresses
Best Actor: I'll go through the nominees in reverse order of who I would like to win. This one is a hard one to predict because all of the actors are good ones.
-George Clooney is probably the easiest to eliminate.
-Normally, Johnny Depp could probably be thrown out too, because lead actors in Musicals dont tend to win when there are more dramatic roles at stake, but this is Depp's 3rd nomination and he hasnt won yet. That means a lot to the Academy.
-I haven's seen In the Valley of Elah yet, for which Tommy Lee Jones is nominated. I hear he is fantastic in it though. Also, it is his 3rd nomination as well. However, it is his first Best Actor nomination and he already won best supporting actor for the Fugitive. So I think it is fairly safe to eliminate him as well.
-Daniel Day Lewis is probably the one that deserves the award the most for the role he is nominated for. That guy can act. This is his 4th nomination for Best Actor, of which he has already won once, 20 years ago, it may be his time again.
-Quite frankly though, I would like to see the newcomer Viggo Mortenssen take home the statue. He is one of my favorite actors. He is such an artist and has managed not to get swallowed up by his famous Aragorn role. He has taken on challenging and subtle roles in a variety of arenas. Heck, he has made Cronenberg accesible again (again?) and he acted half of the role in Russian.
Best Supporting Actor
This is virtually a done deal.
-Javier Bardem is going to win. And he is up against some heavy hitters with great perfomances. P.S Hoffman is out because of his previous win.
-Wilkinson (whom I love) is out for the same reason.
-Holbrook could throw a wrench in there because of his age, but sorry, not enough people saw Into the Wild.
-Part of me would like Casey Affleck to win. First of all, it is just nice to see an Affleck that can act, but most importantly, he was fantastic in the very slow movie that was The assassination of jesse james.... But sorry, young man, you are up against one of the powerhouses of Spanish cinema, Javier Bardem. Plus it is his second nomination. He will win.
Best Actress
To be honest, this one is up in the air.
-Marion Cotillard is probably the most deserving... though at the same time, musical biopics are so overdone lately.
-Blanchett is out. There is no way they will give her an Oscar for the same role in an inferior sequel.
-Can't say much on Linney because I haven't seen her film yet. But with two unwon nominations before this one... who knows.
-Julie Christie won the golden globe, which sometimes means something.
-Me? I would like to see Ellen Page get it, because she is cute.
Best Supporting Actress
-Blanchett may win this one just for sheer amount of nominations. Also, she played Bob Dylan. That rocks.
-Saoirse Ronan from Atonement is probably out, child actors dont tend to take the statue home. Though... she was really good.
-I have no idea about Amy Ryan or Tilda Swinton.
-Ruby Dee could possibly win it because older black actresses are few and far between and American Gangster deserves some sort of win. Though her involvement in the movie was so cursory that I'm sure some of the other actresses are more deserving.
more categories will follow shortly.
Actors and Actresses
Best Actor: I'll go through the nominees in reverse order of who I would like to win. This one is a hard one to predict because all of the actors are good ones.
-George Clooney is probably the easiest to eliminate.
-Normally, Johnny Depp could probably be thrown out too, because lead actors in Musicals dont tend to win when there are more dramatic roles at stake, but this is Depp's 3rd nomination and he hasnt won yet. That means a lot to the Academy.
-I haven's seen In the Valley of Elah yet, for which Tommy Lee Jones is nominated. I hear he is fantastic in it though. Also, it is his 3rd nomination as well. However, it is his first Best Actor nomination and he already won best supporting actor for the Fugitive. So I think it is fairly safe to eliminate him as well.
-Daniel Day Lewis is probably the one that deserves the award the most for the role he is nominated for. That guy can act. This is his 4th nomination for Best Actor, of which he has already won once, 20 years ago, it may be his time again.
-Quite frankly though, I would like to see the newcomer Viggo Mortenssen take home the statue. He is one of my favorite actors. He is such an artist and has managed not to get swallowed up by his famous Aragorn role. He has taken on challenging and subtle roles in a variety of arenas. Heck, he has made Cronenberg accesible again (again?) and he acted half of the role in Russian.
Best Supporting Actor
This is virtually a done deal.
-Javier Bardem is going to win. And he is up against some heavy hitters with great perfomances. P.S Hoffman is out because of his previous win.
-Wilkinson (whom I love) is out for the same reason.
-Holbrook could throw a wrench in there because of his age, but sorry, not enough people saw Into the Wild.
-Part of me would like Casey Affleck to win. First of all, it is just nice to see an Affleck that can act, but most importantly, he was fantastic in the very slow movie that was The assassination of jesse james.... But sorry, young man, you are up against one of the powerhouses of Spanish cinema, Javier Bardem. Plus it is his second nomination. He will win.
Best Actress
To be honest, this one is up in the air.
-Marion Cotillard is probably the most deserving... though at the same time, musical biopics are so overdone lately.
-Blanchett is out. There is no way they will give her an Oscar for the same role in an inferior sequel.
-Can't say much on Linney because I haven't seen her film yet. But with two unwon nominations before this one... who knows.
-Julie Christie won the golden globe, which sometimes means something.
-Me? I would like to see Ellen Page get it, because she is cute.
Best Supporting Actress
-Blanchett may win this one just for sheer amount of nominations. Also, she played Bob Dylan. That rocks.
-Saoirse Ronan from Atonement is probably out, child actors dont tend to take the statue home. Though... she was really good.
-I have no idea about Amy Ryan or Tilda Swinton.
-Ruby Dee could possibly win it because older black actresses are few and far between and American Gangster deserves some sort of win. Though her involvement in the movie was so cursory that I'm sure some of the other actresses are more deserving.
more categories will follow shortly.
Comments
He is quite the Renaissance Man. I thought the movie sucked overall.
_eva d.
But yes he is a bit of a hero to me, he acts, he writes poetry, he has done musical collaborations with Buckethead and seems fairly non-hollywood in most aspects. And his acting in the Cronenberg films has been butt kickingly good.
no lo sabia.