the valentines special

Today is Valentines Day. Whooptie friggin doo. I didn't even realize it until someone reminded me. Of course, this means very little to anyone who does not have a girlfriend, boyfriend, lover of some sort. I guess some people sit around wishing that they had someone to give them chocolates on Valentines, but I can only look back to this time last year and... well, lets just say I'm better off now and that this Valentine's Day is a lot more easy-going than last year's. And cheaper.
But in keeping with a day created by Hallmark for us to think about romantic love lets look at those lucky ladies who've made my list of "romantic interests." Unfortunately, seeing as how "reality" holds no viable options, we'll look at the top 8 movie characters I would date!. Now, these are characters, not actresses, mind you. And though clearly their looks don't hurt, I like them for their characters, if not, I would have included Anne Hathaway somehow.



8) Kate-Freckles, from Lost. She crash lands on an island. Instead of moping about, she takes off into the jungle with a hunter and tracks wild boar. I rest my case.










7) Elisabeth Bennet, from Pride and Prejudice.Since there are several versions of this character, I am going to have to go with Kiera Knightley's version. While I think that the BBC 6 hour production is better overall, I was wonderfully surprised by miss knightley's encarnation of the Lizzey character. She brings a sparkle into the her eye. There is a certain mishceviousness in it that is endearing and alluring. Plus, she would call me things like "ryan dearest" which would rock.




6) TIE/COMBO Pam Beasley+Karen Filipelli, from The Office (US). I know, this may be controversial to you office fans out there. But to me, both of these girls together are perfect. Both are nice, smart, loving, all-american girls, and as you watch the show you sort of fall for both of them in a way and you have reservations about both as well. Pam is great, don't get me wrong, but... she is a bit too insecure and bland. Karen is fantastic, but lacks Pam's quirky humor and comfortable feel. However, Karen has that "bite" to her personality that Pam lacks; has sexiness where Pam seems a bit prudish. But then again, Pam is the kind of girl that it wouldn't get get boring talking to; Karen only has that spontaneous humor when she gets sarcastic. So, throw some more sarcasm into Karen and she would be perfect. Throw a bit more sensuality into Pam and she would also do it. Until then, they are tied.





5) Celine, from Before Sunrise/Before Sunset. First off. She's french. And has that accent. That is almost enough on its own. But on top of it, she's intelligent, a good conversationalist, an idealist, a romantic, a bit of a cynic, a bit bohemian.... the list is interminable. No wonder Ethan Hawke's character was haunted by her for years after that one day they spent together.





4) Penny Lane, from Almost Famous. Yes, we know, hesitation due to her hedonistic, drug and sex filled lifestyle, but that is also part of her appeal. She has a certain mysterious air about her... Too sweet to be a bad girl, she has what my cousin would describe as the "could be bad if she wanted to, but chooses not to be" quality.... essential in my book. Cute and endearing, but could make you blush and look away if she held your gaze too long. Miau.








3) Charlotte, from Lost in Translation. Depth is the name of the game here. This movie makes me want to get lost in Tokyo with her, staying up late into the night, having conversations in the dark. I mean, she looked cute singing karaoke. I didnt even know that was possible.











2) Ilsa Lund, from Casablanca. She's tender and tough as nails. Don't be fooled by her sweet disposition, this gal is willing to do anything for the guy she loves, nazis be damned! But most of all, I love that scene where Victor Laslow strikes up the band to play the Marseillaise and gets everyone singing. Ilsa just sits there quietly, gazing at him, bursting with pride.








And the lucky number 1 is....


Sam, from Garden State. Yes, I know. Typical. I once heard a girl complaining about how she couldn't figure out why so many guys had crushes on Sam. Well, let me tell you. She is funny, goofy and spontaneous, and yet, she is sweet and caring. She listens to good tunes. Likes animals. What is there not to love? Plus, she is Natalie Portman.

Comments

danifres said…
oh man, such a nice list you've got in here. Smart idea, I never thought about doing it.
But, don't you think that Sam would be the typical easy-to-crash-on-her girl that because of that reason many guys finally date with her becoming something as a really experienced doll? I don't like that kind of girls, I consider them as mermaids
Jenn said…
I was hoping Sam would make the list. I have a crush on her too!
Miriam said…
Ryan dearest, the others make sense, but besides the fact that Sam is Natalie Portman, I still don't understand her massive appeal. She says "like" too much.
Anonymous said…
eef_ i thought Sam was annoying as anything. (though cute in the beginning of the movie- in the waiting-room). the scene in her bedroom was the turning point.

charlotte, however, is very alluring, and kate is awesome..
Reesa Wood said…
I like Sam because she's wierd and A-OK with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs