Funeral songs

Before the inimitable Peter Sellers died, he had stipulated that he wanted his funeral to be a certain way. There were some little details that he wanted to go a certain way. Being the comic genius that he was, he requested that Glen Miller's In the Mood be played at the ceremony. He chose that song because he thought that it was the most irreverent funeral song that he could possibly come up with. Imagine the scene, a bunch of people trying to mourn while the band picks up and starts swinging'. I love it.
However, I think I could come up with a couple doozies of my own. Of course, Bicycle Race would be quite good, but any of Queen's vaudevillian songs would be ideal. I think Seaside Rendezvous (from Queen's Night at the Opera would be a great pre-sermon song for the memorial service.
It all depends on how I die as well. Car crash? Then how about Paradise by the dashboard light by Meatloaf. Gunshot wound? Shot through the heart by Jon Bon Jovi. Cardiac arrest, the Queen's Sheer Heart Attack works wonders. All the hearses will be required to blast the song Highway to Hell, and of course, as my body goes on the conveyor belt into the cremation oven, that classic song that is even irreverant at a party Feelin' Hot Hot Hot
How bout you, what do you want played at your funeral?

----
EDIT: How could I have missed this? If I die of old age I want Billy Joel's song "Only the Good Die Young" played at my ceremony.

Comments

Anonymous said…
well, it would really be hard to keep a straight face at your funeral, ryan...

no, but seriously, i think i'd like a folk song or two to be sung at mine... otherwise my ghost will haunt all attendees forever........
Anonymous said…
i choose "i like big butts..." but sung operatically by barry white
Ryan said…
oh wow, yeah, "I like big butts" is totally a good one.
Actually, teen pop is a big one too. I mean, playing "oops I did it again" would be pretty weird/awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs