Sunshowers

Life is finally starting to loosen up a bit. Last week was a stressful as trying to find a needle in a haystack, in the dark, during a blizzard, with polar bears chasing you around the haystack, and a sneaky Eskimo midget setting the whole thing on fire. Figuratively speaking, of course. I have never tried to find needles in haystacks and have nothing against the denizens of the artic. But yeah, it was a busy week. I spent massive amounts of time in the libary or at my computer or rushing to and fro, trying to get things done, and preferably on time. And it rained. Non-stop. Cats and Dogs and various other domestic mammals fell from the sky and left a mess all over the sidewalks. On top of that, as my previous posts probably gave away, I was hit with a post-graduation downer and was wondering what the heck I was doing with my life. So yeah. A flaming haystack. But it was all good, it reinforced my suspicions that we all really lack any sense of perspective in this world and that we are, or at least I am, pretty damn fickle.

In some ways, being so busy last week distracted me from my current state of metaphysical affairs and allowed me to distance myself from my weekend of nostalgia. Because, let me tell you, I was really busy. 3 papers in less than a week's time, and two of them on subjects that I had no knowledge of whatsoever. They were part of my makeshift history course that is meant to give me those last needed history credits so that I can graduate (which is always a plus). But having to read books like "Cambridge Ancient History, vol. 10: The Augustan Age" with very little knowledge of what happened in volumes 1-9 is frustrating. But little by little I finished all my work, culminating in yesterday's tutorial on Medieval Cartography. I was pretty nervous about that one, because the tutor that I was assigned has a reputation for being quite difficult. In fact, I would go so far as saying that her notoriety is notoriously notorious. But she turned out to be quite gracious with a newcomer to the subject such as myself and despite arguing against most of what I had to say, told me that I had, "generally written a very good essay." So that was satisfying.

So the tutorials have been taken care of, my mini-crisis is done, and to top it all off, the sun came out today. It comes and goes, hiding behind fast moving clouds, appearing and disappearing quickly, like a game of peek-a-boo. The rain has continued to play intermittently as well. Sometimes the sun and rain come out at the same time, which is strangely compelling. "Sunshowers," as it is sometimes called. I like that word. I have also read that the sun-rain combo is sometimes called "the devil is beating his wife." I have been trying to figure that expression out all morning. I guess it is raining because she is weeping, and it is sunny because no one even cares, because if she is going to be the kind of strumpet that is going to go off and marry the devil then she probably deserves a good beating. Strumpet. That’s another good word. Tea and strumpets.

Comments

Anonymous said…
In my opinion, this is one of the best bits of writing you've done.

Glad to hear the Baige didn't make you flatter than a medieval map. As I saw you alive last night, I presumed that all was well.

I must remember to incorporate a badger into my next tale, perhaps a talking badger who needs to be exorcised of the spirit of Balaam.
Anonymous said…
So if you are looking for a needle in a hay stack why not use a metal detector? I have always wondered if that would work. Nice paragraph at the end there. I have never heard of the devil beating his wife, interesting concept. Cheerio.
Anonymous said…
yeah man, it should work. Needles are normally made of stainless steal so you can use a metal detector to find them. But, did you think about a big magnet? I think it could be faster.

I like your post too. I needed a dictionary sometimes, but it was pretty "constructivo"(ya me diras como se dice en ingles ;)
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you are going to get some sun. Vitamin D is ever so important. When you have a wife, will you call her strumpet for fun?

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs