"I'll take the one on the right please"
I walked past a large clothing store on my way home. They still have the giant "Sales" banners hanging in the storefront windows, advertising a January sale that has probably long become stale. So stale, in fact, that even the mannequins in the display had been stripped of their wares. Now, I dont know why, but I always find it extremely comical when I go past a giant display filled with bare mannequins. I dont know why, perhaps it is just the random change that the whole street gets with these nudie displays.
The neighborhood is turned from a respectable place to a red light district tableau. Of course, the mannequins are in denial. They stand there awkwardly, trying to keep their composure while exposed and vulnerable. They seem as if they are pretending that they are still doing their job. Perhaps this is what strikes me as funny. Futility and denial are always a bit comical, and to see a whole store putting "The Emperor's New Clothes" on display always brings a smile to my face.
Today I felt like walking in the store and saying: "I was interested in something in your display window." The shopgirl would stare at me with a bit of confusion, wondering if her coworkers had already managed to replace the clothes on the naked statuettes. "Yes, I would like the one that is leaning casually to the right with her right hand raised slightly." My idea then cuts to a scene of me carrying a stiff body (leaning and hand slightly raised) down the street through the throngs of people. Then the vision cuts to a pirate ship. As the camera pans up the bow of the ship we see the mannequin (now christened "Mary Bertha") strapped to the prow as a figurehead. Then the camera pulls out to reveal that the whole ship is manned by a crew of mannequins. Fade to black.
Today I felt like walking in the store and saying: "I was interested in something in your display window." The shopgirl would stare at me with a bit of confusion, wondering if her coworkers had already managed to replace the clothes on the naked statuettes. "Yes, I would like the one that is leaning casually to the right with her right hand raised slightly." My idea then cuts to a scene of me carrying a stiff body (leaning and hand slightly raised) down the street through the throngs of people. Then the vision cuts to a pirate ship. As the camera pans up the bow of the ship we see the mannequin (now christened "Mary Bertha") strapped to the prow as a figurehead. Then the camera pulls out to reveal that the whole ship is manned by a crew of mannequins. Fade to black.
Comments