Unlucky shoes: part deux
It's sunday night. Tomorrow morning I am up with the crack smoking dawn and I'm off to work. While this is normally depressing enough; on top of it all, my predicament from last week still remains. I am stuck with some shoes that have lost their interest in keeping my feet dry. Instead, they have this crazy obsession with one of two things: becoming sandals, or giving me some sort of foot disease. I don't get paid until thursday, therefore the shoes must remain on my feet for another 3-4 days until I can find replacements and have them fired. I had some pretty high hopes for them this weekend. I thought that perhaps luck would shine its face upon me by having the sun do the same thing. But lady luck is a whore. The sun shone brightly this weekend and now, the night before I have to work, the rain is coming down, covering the streets with water, soaking my shirts on the clothesline, and washing my 'hopes for a dry week' straight into the gutter.
Though my attempts at fixing my shoes last week were useless, to say the least, I am a stubborn person. Actually, I am just desperate and apparently masochistic, but we will pretend that it tenacity that makes me keep trying to fix my shoes myself. Because, yes, I have once again attempted to repair the useless footwear. However, this time I have some packing tape, and a deck of miniature cards to aid me. I used the same glue as last time, but combined it with the new materials to create a new and improved 'hole cover.' Click the picture below for a larger view:

As you can see, I used one miniature playing card to cover each of the 3 holes that plagued the soles of the shoes. I applied glue to the hole area quite liberally and then smashed the card onto it. Then I pressed the tape on top to keep it all in place and to make sure that the edges wouldnt come up. Then I put some more glue and more tape to try to make it as impermeable as possible.

After I finished this process and stood back to admire my handiwork I wondered at the irony of using cards to fight back at lady luck. Then, with some dismay, I realized that they weren't even good cards. "I should have only used Aces" I mumbled to myself (In the kitchen my flat-mate started wailing Motorhead's song Ace of Spades), "At least there isn't a joker on there. A Jack and a 3, those are pretty neutral..." But that is when I realized that one shoe had the card upside down. It was too late and it was stuck. Suddenly walking around the city had been turned into a game of blackjack. Unfortunately, I can't fold this hand, so I will just have to say "Hit me" and hope that Lady Luck doesn't take that too literally.
Though my attempts at fixing my shoes last week were useless, to say the least, I am a stubborn person. Actually, I am just desperate and apparently masochistic, but we will pretend that it tenacity that makes me keep trying to fix my shoes myself. Because, yes, I have once again attempted to repair the useless footwear. However, this time I have some packing tape, and a deck of miniature cards to aid me. I used the same glue as last time, but combined it with the new materials to create a new and improved 'hole cover.' Click the picture below for a larger view:
As you can see, I used one miniature playing card to cover each of the 3 holes that plagued the soles of the shoes. I applied glue to the hole area quite liberally and then smashed the card onto it. Then I pressed the tape on top to keep it all in place and to make sure that the edges wouldnt come up. Then I put some more glue and more tape to try to make it as impermeable as possible.
After I finished this process and stood back to admire my handiwork I wondered at the irony of using cards to fight back at lady luck. Then, with some dismay, I realized that they weren't even good cards. "I should have only used Aces" I mumbled to myself (In the kitchen my flat-mate started wailing Motorhead's song Ace of Spades), "At least there isn't a joker on there. A Jack and a 3, those are pretty neutral..." But that is when I realized that one shoe had the card upside down. It was too late and it was stuck. Suddenly walking around the city had been turned into a game of blackjack. Unfortunately, I can't fold this hand, so I will just have to say "Hit me" and hope that Lady Luck doesn't take that too literally.
Comments