Revelation

Sometimes your life takes a certain turn, or encounters a challenge or situation that makes you sit up in bed and exclaim "eureka!" in horror as you realize something about yourself that was always there but that you never faced before. A couple of weeks ago I realized that I have been sabotaging myself for years now. It is the kind of thing that people tell you but that you never fully assimilate, or that you do but with a touch of dramatic despair, "woe is me, my greatest enemy awaits inside me."
But suddenly I realized it. It happened after a long discussion with someone about the way I was handling a situation and I realized that my attitude towards life, my fear of failure, and my preemptive strikes of pessimism were really keeping me from enjoying life and perhaps even succeeding in the areas that I was really passionate about.
I automatically assume failure and therefore don't try to accomplish anything. I am terrified about finding out that I am actually as bad at the things I like as I think I am, despite other people telling me the opposite. Deep inside I feel that I have tricked them somehow, that they have an erroneous perspective of me and I am reticent to do anything that may burst that bubble.
But that was before, and I am aware of it now. Instead of viewing myself and life from such a dismal point of view I am trying to make the best of what is actually there rather than what I have pictured in my brain as the extreme ideal which everything is measured up against. I wont be the easiest thing in the world, but somehow I feel like I can see the problem clearly and am sick of wallowing in it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
good on you then, ryan...
maybe it's like your belated new years resolution:-)
sometimes i have the same thing... but i think i deal with it ok just through the fact that i AM so passionate about certain things that even if i feel at times not good enough, even that isn't enough to keep me from it... make sense? anyway, i look forward to seeing what the enlightened ryan is now capable of:-)
Anonymous said…
What a painful but liberating thing to realize. I think most people have some measure of self-sabotage in them, it just depends on what area of life they do it in. Good for you for facing the truth.

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs