Wind and Spirit

How is everything today my new readers?

Welcome to the insane asylum of thoughts, the badlands of ideas... in essence, welcome to a little reflection of my mind.


The other day we had a massive wind blow through this area. I don't know where it came from, or where it went, but for one day it rocked the north shore of Massachusetts to its very marrow.

The air was cool, but the wind gave it a biting edge. Even though the sky was fairly clear, everyone was indoors. Outside, everything was in motion. The trees were bent and swaying, and the grass was undulating and the gusts of air sped over the surface or the green lawns. In the heavens, the clouds were soaring through the sky, creating shadows that made shadows and shapes on the ground beneath it.

I was slightly sad to see that the colored autumn leaves, which I had waited so long to see, were getting pulled off their branches and blown away. The leaves were not the only thing to get blown away. The pine needles lay all around the giant pines, and dust swirled in the parking lot. On a bigger scale, many old trees were getting uprooted and tossed on their sides. Many large branches were being snapped off the trunks that once held them high in above the world; they now lay on the ground quivering.
The universe was in upheaval around me. Violent change was in the air; along with trees, leaves and dirt. "What was I to do" I thought to myself, as I watched it all from behind my dorm window. Suddenly I had an urge. I felt a strange attraction to go outside. Life was happening all around, the power of the wind was compelling. Things were being shaken up; awakened by the sheer force of the usually intangible air. I needed to be a part of it.
I walked outside, and zipped my jacket up all the way up to my neck. As I stepped out of the threshold of the dorm entrance, the wind buffeted me with great force, causing me to stumble momentarily. I walked to the middle of the grassy rectangular sports field which borders my dorm hall and stopped. Slowly I turned to face the wind. Little bits of dirt and grass stung my cheeks as they blew past me. I closed my eyes and felt the gusts of wind, as thoughts were tossed to and fro inside the gale of my mind. Again, I smiled.
I turned and ran with the wind, feeling the rush of the sensation that I was careening out of control. I walked for a bit, taking the path that took me into the woods, behind the college. The trails were empty, all the better. I was relishing the solitude. I felt like I was being given a demonstration of power by the almighty himself.
I arrived at gull pond, a little piece of heaven for me, though many do not find it as enchanting as I. The waters were as restless as I have ever seen them. I stood for quite a while just watching the streams of air work their way across the top of the little lake. I was reminded of the verse that said how the "spirit of God moved across the waters." What a sight that must have been, and I had been given a taste of the scene.
I was struck by the fact that no one had decided to experience the wonders of the wind storm. At the same time I was not surprised at all. For some reason most people do not get such enjoyment out of these little things as me. "Fools" I thought to myself, but wondered if I might be the fool, when I heard a tree crash somewhere in the middle of the forest.
I suppose that if I had been thinking logically, I might have turned back then. But my mind was filled with wonder and passion and I knew that I had to go deeper into the woods.
I took a trail that I had walked many a time, and enjoyed the silent roar of the wind going through the trees. At that moment I loved where I was and never wanted to leave that place. I stood still, with my eyes closed, in the middle of the trail and listened to the trees and grasses whisper their paeans to the omnipotent one. As I opened my eyes, I looked towards the skies just in time to watch a lone red leaf parachute slowly, spinning, from the branches above. I was spellbound. Sandburg captured the feeling quite well with his poem "under the harvest moon"


Under the summer roses
When the flagrant crimson
Lurks in the dusk
Of the wild red leaves,
Love, with little hands,
Comes and touches you
With a thousand memories,
And asks you
Beautiful, unanswerable questions.


I was so exhilarated that I felt the need to run. So I ran. I ran hard, like a mad man. My arms were outstretched and I laughed out loud as the wind roared in my ears.
I reached the center of the woods and sat down exhausted. I lay on my back and watched the shadows of the clouds play with the sunlight that came trickling through the leaves. As I panted to regain my breath, I suddenly felt the awesomeness of the power of my Lord. The wind was child's play to him. The trees suddenly were hit by another wall of wind that had blown into them. The tops of the trees danced crazily, and I could hear the cracking and creaking of branches overhead. I don't know why, but even though nature was instilling the fear of God in me, I just HAD to go deeper into the forest.
I left the trail. I took off into the trees which held mysteries which had not been shown to me. In the woods I found the greatest treasures that could be given to man: A clearing with grass and sunlight, dark wooded areas, a stump covered with colorful mushrooms, squirrels dashing for their nests, and the soundtrack of a eerily silent forest. The birds were away, the animals were dashing for cover, and the wind swooshed, whispered and moaned through the trees. It was time to go. I had things to attend to. I left feeling at peace amongst the power of the wind. On Wednesday God put on a display of might and beauty, and only I was there to enjoy it.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs