...

Tonight I went to the Idiom release party. The Idiom is the school's literary journal, which contains pieces written by students. I did not submit anything of my own, but I was on the staff that put it together. It was exciting to see the poetry that I critiqued and liked, bound between two covers.

Later on at the release party, people read some poems. I sat on a blue couch, and listened to them. Some were quite good, while others were not. It made me realize what a fine line lies between pretentiousness and quality. I love words. I love obscure words, but I love precise words even more. It is great when they overlap, but I have realized that using flowery speech usually just sounds dumb. Strange how intellectual words can make you sound like an idiot.

I don't know if it is because I am just paying more attention, or if it is because I am delving deeper into the English language; but I have recently started to listen to what people say when they speak. I don't just hear what they mean to say, I know listen to what their words mean. It is incredible how often they use words that do not mean what they want them to mean. They get 'implicit' and 'explicit' mixed up. The same is done with 'infer and imply.' Now this usually does not bother me, unless they are trying to act smart and then it just annoying and I feel like pointing out their ignorance. However, most of the time I just shut my mouth. Yes, much has changed since high school, heh heh. I am not even trying to suggesting that I completely dominate the English language, I wish! I have probably messed things up in this very blog entry. However, it is fun and exciting to realize that I am getting a better hang of the ol' gal. I mean, according to the spell-checker, I barely misspelled any words. It is strange that the spell-checker on blogger doesn't recognize the words 'blog' or 'blogger'... kinda ironic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs