Steven Delopoulos

Yesterday I made an impulse buy. I picked up a new CD. I am always anxious to find new Christian artists that original and good. Some of you might remember a couple of years back there was a group called "Burlap to Cashmere." I always thought that they were talented, but I never really liked their music. When I heard that their frontman Steven Delopoulos was getting out a CD, I was intrigued. I listened to a couple of his tracks and liked them a lot. So I bought it.



I remember thinking that many of the Burlap songs were lyrically simplistic, so I was pleased to find that this CD was made with a much finer lyrical craft than Steve's previous work with the old band. However, the music and lyrics are still approachable (more so than the pronunciation of his last name).



It is a very acoustic CD. In fact I don't know that there is as much as one electric guitar on the album. Folky and Jazzy all at once. Musically I find him to be reminiscent of David Gray and Cat Stevens. His voice is so much like Gray's that it is hard not make that comparison. It comes out more on his slower songs that have a slight Jazzy/Bossa sound. However, his music is more like Cat Stevens, especially his fast songs and folk sounding ones. There is some fantastic acoustic guitar work on this CD as well. The artist's Greek heritage, which is what made Burlap so distinct, is toned down quite a bit, but still comes out in some songs. So if you are looking for a solid, listenable album, with good lyrical and musical composition; this may be for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs