Day After Tomorrow
I must say, yesterday I was very stressed. I was tired from working, my boss was stressed; my bus home got stuck in traffic and I was distracted and missed my stop (which forced me to walk back for 20 minutes). The perfect cure for this is, of course, the movies. More aptly, going to see a no brainer action flick. Usually I will never go see an action movie at the theatre, but I felt like special effects and surround sound. Also, it is much cheaper to go watch a movie in Spain.
So I got home and told David that I wanted to see a movie. We jumped in the car and headed off to the local mall. I told him that I didn't want something heady and I just wanted to relax. I told him that I felt like watching "The Day After Tomorrow." He was skeptical, and personally, I didn't blame him. Roland Emmerich isn't particularly famous for his quality films. Independence Day and Godzilla can prove that. However, Independence Day WAS entertaining when I saw it in the movie theatre (as much as I hate to admit it), I mean giant explosions, world destruction... All the prerequisites of a brain dead fun movie. After seeing the trailer I figured I was at least guaranteed that much with this film. There was another doubt which I did not blame David for having, the movie was about natural disasters... Dante's Peak, Volcano... All crap. Twister was decent I guess. So I prepared David for the worst and asked him to judge it within its own genre and not as a piece of high art. Then we bought out tickets and watched the movie.
I have to admit, it was really fun. Yes, the dialogue was crap, the problems were cliché, it had cookie cut characters.... But it was still fun. The special effects were as good as any I have ever seen. The characters were typical, but the acting was good. Dennis Quaid, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ian Holm helped the movie along. Did I metnion the special effects. The movie was predictable enough, and yet the weather effects were scary. More than once I though "Holy $%*!!" There is a scene when a plane is going down and I could seriously feel the scariness of the situation. The tornadoes, floods, hail, etc... All very good and eerie. YES, I KNOW, it was STUPID. They took a scientific theory and blew it completely out of proportion. But it was fun ok? Like Roger Ebert said ""The Day After Tomorrow" is ridiculous, yes, but it is sublimely ridiculous." If you want a very good time, watch it. If you want a very good movie, then don't.
So I got home and told David that I wanted to see a movie. We jumped in the car and headed off to the local mall. I told him that I didn't want something heady and I just wanted to relax. I told him that I felt like watching "The Day After Tomorrow." He was skeptical, and personally, I didn't blame him. Roland Emmerich isn't particularly famous for his quality films. Independence Day and Godzilla can prove that. However, Independence Day WAS entertaining when I saw it in the movie theatre (as much as I hate to admit it), I mean giant explosions, world destruction... All the prerequisites of a brain dead fun movie. After seeing the trailer I figured I was at least guaranteed that much with this film. There was another doubt which I did not blame David for having, the movie was about natural disasters... Dante's Peak, Volcano... All crap. Twister was decent I guess. So I prepared David for the worst and asked him to judge it within its own genre and not as a piece of high art. Then we bought out tickets and watched the movie.
I have to admit, it was really fun. Yes, the dialogue was crap, the problems were cliché, it had cookie cut characters.... But it was still fun. The special effects were as good as any I have ever seen. The characters were typical, but the acting was good. Dennis Quaid, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ian Holm helped the movie along. Did I metnion the special effects. The movie was predictable enough, and yet the weather effects were scary. More than once I though "Holy $%*!!" There is a scene when a plane is going down and I could seriously feel the scariness of the situation. The tornadoes, floods, hail, etc... All very good and eerie. YES, I KNOW, it was STUPID. They took a scientific theory and blew it completely out of proportion. But it was fun ok? Like Roger Ebert said ""The Day After Tomorrow" is ridiculous, yes, but it is sublimely ridiculous." If you want a very good time, watch it. If you want a very good movie, then don't.
Comments