The cat is out of the bag

Well, for the first time in over a year I took my trumpet out of its case and I jammed.



Yes it is true.



I had taken it out and played some scales a couple of months ago, but lets face it, I stunk really bad. I have kept wanting to play regularly, but after that discouraging practice session, I didnt ever get motivated to do it. Tonight I was reminded why I love music.



My friend Alex, and two other friends from ISO (International Student Organization), Jonathan (from Costa Rica) and Joel (from Brazil), were asked to put together some music for the upcoming multicultural conference that is going to be held at Gordon this weekend. They said that they would play for a dinner on saturday night. They realized that they needed some more instruments and so they recruited Brian (who plays the upright bass and is Alex's roomate), and asked if I could play the trumpet.



I was skeptical, for I have not touched the thing for over a year and from what I had seen, my skills were greatly diminished. However, I said I would show up for practice today and I would see how things went. I WAS rusty. Much of my finger technique is slower, my range is diminished, and my flexibility is gone. But... I wasn't half bad. As the practice went on, and my lips started remembering how to play, I started getting better. The guys all thought I was fantastic, but I dont think I was that great. I was decent.



One nice thing, is that I have exposed myself to differnt types of music and have sung in the choir for over a year. I think my musical intuition has grown a little, because I wasnt resorting to the same old improvisation patterns as before. It was fun.



Most of all, I remembered why I loved playing. Every now and then, when you are making music, you see a spark of something. A small flash of brilliance appears and vanishes, and you realize that you have taken part in creating something beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs