And they ask me why I am tired...

Do you ever get that feeling in the middle of the night, where you are possessed by an emotion so strong, that you cannot help but to try to express yourself?



It is almost one in the morning, and I am sitting at my computer. The dim glow of the screen bathes me in its pale light, as my feelings try to form themselves into thoughts. My emotions sit chained inside me. Then suddenly, as if hearing their master's call, they rise up expectantly. The tension rises and I can feel them watching my every move, waiting for the moment when they can be free. That moment does not come. My emotions tug at their chain, like a guard-dog in a junkyard, hoping that their bondage will suddenly give, and they will break free. I sit and watch them from across the way. I gaze sadly at them, knowing that they long to fly.



Then the unexpected happens. The chain snaps and the mighty beast is free. Inside me, it races from my heart to my mind. It is a blur of motion; a whirlwind of passion, lifting the dust inside my head and scattering old poems written on dirty parchment. My whole being is in upheaval, and the alarm is sounded. Finally, the Legion of Reason marches out to battle, piercing Emotion's thin hide with spears of rationale. The battle is fought long and hard, both sides taking casualties. Reason limps off the battlefield, fighting to keep the poison of confusion at bay. Emotion falls as quickly as it rose. It lies in the dust, panting, while its chest rises and falls. It is bound in chains and dragged back to it's den.



And so I am left here; sitting in the dark, the reluctant recipient of collateral damage. I stare blankly at the screen, unable to write. My mind is nursing its wounds of doubt and confusion; while my emotions, drained of passion, lie exhausted on the cold floor of my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs