Why?
I was walking around campus and I thought, "I am going to watch a movie." After all, it is the only thing to do when you have at least a foot of snow on the ground and are in the middle of a snow storm. So, as my ears and nose started to go numb, I tried to decide what kind of movie I was in the mood for. I didn't feel like a comedy, or an action flick. I wanted something with more emotional depth, but did not feel like a drama. Then it hit me. I want something that doesn't exist. I wanted a movie about love. You are probably thinking, there are many movies about love. Yes. But they are all for women.
Now, before you crucify me for being sexist or insinsetive, hear me out. All romance movies are geared towards women. The title "chick flick" is not ill-named. I would bet money on the fact that when a movie labeled as "romance" is in the theater, 80% of the people that see it are women. The 20% of guys that go to those movies are dragged there by their wives or girlfriends. While it is true that they may enjoy some of the film, for many have comical elements, they would probably never go see it on their own. On the other hand, I know many women that go out for "girls nights" and watch chick flicks.
You are probably thinking "well, it makes sense. Guys dont like romance." Not true. Make a top 20 love poems list and tell me how many of them will be writen by men. The majority. To say that men do not fall in love would be prepostrous. Sometimes I think that when a man falls in love, in some ways it is even deeper than when a woman falls in love. So if men love romance, but dont like romance movies, there can only be one explanation: Modern day love movies are writen for women. Men relate to love differently, and no one caters to the male perspective.
That is kind of sad really. I think that the last romantic movie that moved me was Casablanca.
Now, before you crucify me for being sexist or insinsetive, hear me out. All romance movies are geared towards women. The title "chick flick" is not ill-named. I would bet money on the fact that when a movie labeled as "romance" is in the theater, 80% of the people that see it are women. The 20% of guys that go to those movies are dragged there by their wives or girlfriends. While it is true that they may enjoy some of the film, for many have comical elements, they would probably never go see it on their own. On the other hand, I know many women that go out for "girls nights" and watch chick flicks.
You are probably thinking "well, it makes sense. Guys dont like romance." Not true. Make a top 20 love poems list and tell me how many of them will be writen by men. The majority. To say that men do not fall in love would be prepostrous. Sometimes I think that when a man falls in love, in some ways it is even deeper than when a woman falls in love. So if men love romance, but dont like romance movies, there can only be one explanation: Modern day love movies are writen for women. Men relate to love differently, and no one caters to the male perspective.
That is kind of sad really. I think that the last romantic movie that moved me was Casablanca.
Comments