Nostalgia and displacement

Right when you think you are starting to fit in, and feel at home, something happens to remind you that you are and always will be an outsider.



I was going through my friends' blogs; reading what they had written. Then I thought to myself, "I wonder if there are any other MK's (missionary kids) from spain that have blogs?" So I embarked on a search to find out. I think I DID find one kid, that I didn't know, but for the most part my search came up with no good results. So I tried to find blogs by MK's in other places. I dont know why I did it, but I did. I found a couple, but it was pretty ridiculous, cause I had never met them and I did not know what they were talking about. However I read this post by a girl who goes by the name of "Mary Margarine" and she said something that caught my eye:



(there's something about a whole bunch of MK's together that just can't be duplicated. It's like we understand each other without saying a word. Living in other countries is a given and we all know that we'd rather live overseas than in the States..it's just an understood. yay for MK's) I have so many friends who go there [Black forest academy]...maybe I can go visit! hmm....better start saving, big time. There's this strange thing about MK's...they call us 3rd culture kids. Because we dont' exactly fit in anywhere. We don't fit in in the States but at the same time we don't quite fit in in other countries. So that's what's so great about MK conventions...because it's like our own third culture. Doesn't make sense I know but I wanted to write about it.



When I read that, I totally understood what she was talking about. She did't have to explain it. I got it. I have always got it. It brought to mind the times I have met with MKs from somewere and clicked immediately. I have many friends that are not MKs, obviously. But they cannot completely understand where I come from, and it is sad to know that they never will. They may understand reasons and theories... but never fully comprehend. Dont get me wrong, its not that MK's will even like each other. But we understand each other to a greater degree than most, I think.



In some ways, I feel like I will never feel at home or at peace in one place. Cursed and blessed with the soul of a wanderer.



This has made me feel melancholic... wow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs