A Eulogy

Today one of the people that I admired most has left this world, and gone to be with God. His name was John Garlock, and he was one of the people that has had a great impact on my life. Looking back on my life, and the times and ways that he crossed it, I can see that I would not be who I am today, if it were not for John.

He has been, and always will be one of my favorite speakers. An expert in cross-cultural communications, he taught at Christ for the Nations bible school, in Dallas TX. He was one of my parents instructors when they went were preparing for missions.

My first recollection of John is me sitting in the back of our old Ford Sierra station wagon, traveling on a journey up from the south of Spain. We were listening to some annoying children's tapes, when my parents decided that it was time to listen to something better. They put in a preaching tape, and I was disgusted. They asked me to give it a chance and I did. I must have been no older than eight, but I was enchanted by this man that was coming out of our old car speakers. He was a great storyteller, and like any child, I loved stories. From that moment on, I was hooked. The next time that we went back to Christ For the Nations to visit people, I bought every sermon of his that I could find.

From John, I learned of missions, God and Christians. He spoke of his experiences in Africa, and his travels all over the world. Through John, I realized that God has a sense of humor. John's passion for Christ has always inspired me.

My paths crossed with John in another great way. When I was around 10 years old, my father brought me a trumpet back from the US. It had a note from John. I had never met him, but he had heard that I had an interest in playing the trumpet, and he being an avid trumpet player was excited. So he gave me a trumpet, one of his own. Looking back on the years of playing in various bands, and seeing so many friends that I have made with music, I attribute much of that to John. His generosity shaped many decisions I would later make in life.

John is happy now. I am sure of it. His life was one filled with joy amidst pain, a joy which is now unhindered as he is in the presence of God. I can picture him there, smiling, letting out a hearty laugh as he picks up his trumpet to join in the chorus around the throne.

God bless you John, you will be sorely missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I think in the city on the verge of winter

Snowmelt demands movement

Blogs